As I watch my daughter turn into my worst nightmare, a fully breedable member of the sex wars, my mind turns back to those days when I was one of those guys who now look at her in that "special way." I try my best to understand what is going through their heads as they try to baffle me with their bullshit, or impress me with their lies, or try to sneak under the parental radar with their supposed shyness. Which ones are the most dangerous?

I'm no fool. I know the most dangerous one is her. And the last thing I want to do is try to understand what's going on in her mind.

The best song I ever heard about this issue was on Terence Boylan's self-titled album back in 1977. This is one of the best albums ever made, and it's not a strange thing that you've never heard of it. You couldn't even find a copy if you wanted one, I suppose. That's a real shame. But it doesn't surprise me. I've seen what's popular in this culture, and it's a long way from what I enjoy. I realize that.

"Shake It" has just that slight touch of irony as he drops hints throughout that this window of teenage lust is a very, very short one indeed. It opens with a sweet and simple piano intro backed by an acoustic guitar.



Here she comes riding
Rolling it down the line.
Slipping and sliding
Taking her sweet old time.
Laughing all the way to the parking lot
Knowing in the back of her mind
She's gonna show the boy what she's really got
And stop him in the nick of time.


Remainder of lyrics removed for © compliance.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.