(Hindusim)

Shaivism is the other main tradition in Hinduism asides from Vaishnavism. It is particularly practised in the south of India, i.e. Dravidia, Tamil Nadu. Shaivism was particularly encouraged during the moghul invasion of India when many heterodox sects flourished. This write-up will not focus on the practice of Shaivism since I know very little of it, however I do know of the Vaishnavite-Shaivite Conflict in Hindu Religious History.

In the Scriptures, the conflict of Shiva with Vishnu assumes deadly proportions. Shaivite texts says that Shiva's demon killed Vishnu, whereas Vaishnava texts claim Vishnu wounded Shiva. In fact this is the reason why Vaishnavas (in India), so tolerant otherwise, are so hostile to anything Shaivite:

The conflict described between Vibhadra, a giant created by Shiva to destroy his father-in-law's sacrifice, and Vishnu is narrated in many texts. In the Linga Purana, Vishnu is beheaded by Vibhadra, and Vishnu's head is blown by the wind into the fire. The Shaivite Kasi Khanda of the Skanda Purana, described Vishnu as defeated and at the mercy of Vibhadra, who is prohibited by a voice from heaven from destroying his antagonist. In the Vaishnavite Harivamsa, Vishnu compels Shiva to fly, after taking him by the throat and nearly strangling him. The blackness of Shiva's neck arose from this throttline, and not, as elsewhere described, from his drinking the posion produced at the churning of the milk ocean. The Kurma Purana, although a Shaivite Purana, is less irreverent towards Vishnu, and after describing a contest in which both parties occasionally prevail, makes Brahma interpose, and separate the combatants.

H.H. Wilson, in his 1840 description
of the Vishnu Purana (paraphrased)

Thus Shiva, unlike other Gods of India, was never even attempted to be absorbed as an incarnation; his practices were against everything Vaishnava. In fact, it is difficult to imagine two world-views more different than Vaishnavism and Shaivism. One is the opposite of the other. All the other gods are also mutilated by Shiva's demons:
Their exploits (i.e. those of Vibhadra and his demons) are specified in the Linga, Kurma, and Bhagavata Puranas. Indra is knocked down and trampled on; Yama has his staff broken; Sarasvati and the Matris have their noses cut off; Mitra or Bhaga has his eyes pulled out; Pusha has his teeth knocked down his throat; Chandra is pummeled, Vahni's hands are cut off; Bhrigu loses his beard; the Brahmans are pelted with stones; the Prajapatis are beaten; and the gods and demi-gods are run through with swords or struck with arrows.

H.H. Wilson

In the Vaishnava Bhagavatapurana, Shiva is described as present at his father-in-law's (i.e. Daksha's) assembly, where Daksha censured him before the guests, and in consequence Shiva departed in rage. His follower Nandi curses the company, and Bhrigu retorts:
May all those who adopt the worship of Bhava [Shiva], all those who follow his practices of his worshippers, become heretics and oppugners of holy doctrines; may they neglect the observances of purification; may they be of infirm intellects, wearing clotted hair, and ornamenting themselves with ashes and bones; may they enter the Shaiva initiation, in which spirituous liquour is the libation.

from the Srimad Bhagavatam

The sacrifice of Daksha in legend is obviously intended to intimate a struggle between the worshippers of Shiva and Vishnu, in which at first the latter, but finally the former, gain the ascendancy. It is also a favourite subject, especially, of Shaivite sculpture.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.