John McCain is still a dick.

My original writeup was total crap. I realize this now. It was written literally minutes after the annoucement of Sarah Palin as GOP Vice Presidential nominee, and consisted of my very first gut reactions to the announcement. It was very poorly researched, maybe a grand total of 20 minutes on Wikipedia. For this, I am sorry.

Given time to adequately absorb the news and look a little more into Sarah Palin and the reasoning behind the choice, I have come to a few conclusions.

First, John McCain is still a dick. The more I look at Palin, the less I see a Vice President, let alone President. She is nothing but a weak attempt to pull female voters from Obama. In her own words: "It was rightly noted in Denver this week that Hillary left 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America. But it turns out the women of America aren't finished yet, and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all." Simply put, John McCain wants to women of this country to vote with their tits, not with their brains.

Secondly, I owe these women an apology. I do still see this incredibly dickish move pulling a few extra Clintonites to the Republican side, but the majority of these people are much more intelligent than that. As time goes on, more and more people will see Palin for who she really is, look beyond her pretty face and see that her policies do not match their own. If they still choose to vote Republican, hold their noses for four years of John McCain, and cross their fingers for a reinvigorated Clinton campaign in 2012, that is their choice to make.

Finally, John McCain is extremely irresponsible. He is 72 years old and has been treated multiple times for skin cancer. He cannot truly believe that Sarah Palin, former city council member and mayor of a town of 5000 and governor of the 4th least populous state in the union, is ready to be President of the United States. Executive experience? Don't make me laugh. Twenty months governing Alaska is not going to relate to the United States as a whole.

This may seem like a double standard, given Barack Obama's lack of experience (though it is, at least, more than Palin has). But Obama was thrust on the national stage in 2004 when he addressed the Democratic National Convention, and has been campaigning for President for nearly 18 months. He has had ample time to convince America that he is ready, willing, and able to be Commander in Chief. Palin has two months.

Besides which, Obama's experience prior to entering politics is at least applicable to the job. Community organizer on the south side of Chicago, president of the Harvard Law Review, director of Project Vote!, teacher of constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School. Palin's prior experience consists of local TV sportscaster and Miss Alaska runner up. And that's pretty much it.

And yet she has the gall to chastise Obama for his lack of experience.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.