What you would drink beer from in a Sydney pub. A glass that holds 425mL.

A locally well-known signature treat at Peterson's Ice Cream in Oak Park, Illinois.

The schooner is not your ordinary ice cream sundae. It is served in a gigantic glass punch bowl, filled with 12 scoops of ice cream each covered with the topping of your choice. Three or four bananas are sliced lengthwise and arranged around the perimeter of the bowl, then the whole concoction is smothered in whipped cream, nuts and a cherry for each ice cream scoop.

It is served with three silver pitchers of homemade piping hot fudge. A common celebrational choice for entire tee-ball teams and the like, the schooner is rarely finished in one sitting by a group smaller than 5 people.

On a childhood bet, my friend Amanda and I attempted to consume an entire schooner ourselves and sat in the booth for hours, still spooning the milky, multicolored soup into our mouths long after it had melted, just to prove we could.

We were both sick that night but had won the $5, and the amazement of our peers.

Schoon"er (?), n. [See the Note below. Cf. Shun.] Naut.

Originally, a small, sharp-built vessel, with two topsails on one or both masts and was called a topsail schooner. About 1840, longer vessels with three masts, fore-and-aft rigged, came into use, and since that time vessels with four masts and even with six masts, so rigged, are built. Schooners with more than two masts are designated three-masted schooners, four-masted schooners, etc. See Illustration in Appendix.

<-- since early in the 20th century, almost all ocean commerce has been conducted on motorized ships, and such sailing ships have survived primarily as historical curiosities, or as pleasure boats. -->

⇒ The fist schooner ever constructed is said to have between built in Gloucester, Massachusetts, about theyar 1713, by a Captain Andrew Robinson, and to have received its name from the following trivial circumstance: When the vessel went off the stocks into the water, a bystander cried out,"O, how she scoons!" Robinson replied, " A scooner let her be;" and, from that time, vessels thus masted and rigged have gone by this name. The word scoon is popularly used in some parts of New England to denote the act of making stones skip along the surface of water. The Scottish scon means the same thing. Both words are probably allied to the Icel. skunda, skynda, to make haste, hurry, AS. scunian to avoid, shun, Prov. E. scun. In the New England records, the word appears to have been originally written scooner. Babson, in his "History of Gloucester," gives the following extract from a letter written in that place Sept. 25, 1721, by Dr. Moses Prince, brother of the Rev. Thomas Prince, the annalist of New England: "This gentleman (Captain Robinson) was first contriver of schooners, and built the first of that sort about eight years since."

 

© Webster 1913.


Schoon"er, n. [D.]

A large goblet or drinking glass, -- used for lager beer or ale.

[U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.