One or two Everythingians may not understand the titles of San-Antonio's novels listed in the previous write-up. So here is an explanation of the puns. Warning: please click here if you are shocked by foul language.

A prendre ou à lécher
Lit: 'To take or to lick'
Refers to the expression 'à prendre ou à laisser', which means 'take it or leave it' (i.e. you will obtain nothing more).

Al Capote
'Capote' is French slang for condom.

Baise-ball à La Baule
'Baise' sounds like 'base' in 'base-ball', but means 'fuck'.
La Baule is a famous seaside resort on the Atlantic Coast, which was obviously chosen for the alliteration.

Bas les pattes
Lit. 'Arms down' (although 'patte' is normally used for animals only), i.e 'stop threatening me (with your arms)'. I don't see the pun here, but maybe I'm not clever enough...

Ceci est une pipe
'This is a pipe'. It's an allusion to Magritte's famous painting "This is not a pipe", which, in spite of its title, does represent a pipe. San-Antonio clearly uses the second meaning of pipe in French slang: fellatio.

Des clientes pour la morgue
'Some (female) clients for the morgue'. I see no pun here.

Fais gaffe à tes os
'Be careful with your bones'. No pun here, as far as I can tell.

If you think you can read French, try to read one of these novels. If you don't laugh from the first to the last page, then you are not as good as you thought...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.