Sakura Wars is an anime series about a team of girls who have special powers that allow them to control giant robots in a time when giant robots shouldn't exist, the late 1800s/early 1900s.

The main character is Sakura Shinguji a girl who grew up in the country, and must learn her fathers Ryu before she can begin her training. When she finally joins forces with the rest of the team, she must learn how to cooperate with a team, and learns much about how people operate, especially when they are in competition with her.

The girls must fight of hoardes of evil beasts, while dealing with each other. Its got mecha, its got chicks, and its got evil beasts.

Sakura Wars was actually first a Sega Saturn game and comic franchise under the name of Sakura Taisen. It is actually set (IIRC) around the time of the Second World War or thereabouts, pointers to this being the various plot devices and enemies (barring supernatural ones) employed. The good guys are called the Imperial Special Team, and have a covert base in a theatre. The game was notable for its unprecedented wealth of "between mission" options and subgames. It was quite possible to spend longer playing the game between missions than actually carrying them out. The neat character design and steampunk mechs were also cool. There were two Saturn games in the series, developed by Sega and Red.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.