Australia's second stored program computer (after CSIRAC), designed and built at the School of Physics of the University of Sydney between 1953 and 1956. It was made possible by the winnings of Sir Adolph Brasser, an alumnus who donated AUS50,000 to its development when his horse won the Melbourne Cup. It was used for scientific calculations, and its makers claimed that it could do 'three months work in ten minutes.'

SILLIAC had 2800 valves or vacuum tubes. It had two heat exchangers, one at each end of the machine, to keep it cool. Each was just large enough to act as a cooler for six bottles of beer.

SILLIAC was dismantled at a decommisioning ceremony in May 1968. University staff and students were permitted to take parts of it home with them.

University of Sydney

Log in or registerto write something here or to contact authors.