The SIG Sauer company of today is originally the result of a partnership between two companies- SIG (Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft), Switzerland and J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Germany. Both were fine firms in their own right, and together, have made some of the finest small arms ever manufactured.

The origins of the continental small arms manufacturer SIG Sauer dates back to the mid 1960's. At that time, SIG was producing its 210 series of pistols which are regarded as some of the finest pistols ever produced by any maker. This pistol was expensive and, therefore, not widely adopted by either the military or law enforcement agencies. Additionally, at this time, manufacturing costs were becoming increasingly prohibitive in Switzerland. SIG decided to go in a new direction — to design pistols that can be made with the same accuracy and reliability with which the firm was known, while also reducing the manufacturing costs associated with the SIG 210. This decision lead SIG to find a partner that could help build pistols of their design.

J.P. Sauer & Sohn was just such a partner. Located in Germany, manufacturing costs were lower than in Switzerland and the craftsmanship did not suffer as a result of the move in production. By the 1970's the firms had ironed out design problems and retooling issues and the first pistol jointly made by the two firms was the SIG Sauer P-220. This pistol was a commercial success and lead to many other pistols and rifles.

In the early 1980's, SIG acquired J.P. Sauer & Sohn. After this merger, the company began to aggressively penetrate the American market of pistols and rifles by setting up their own importing and distribution company in the US — SIGARMS, which remains with us today.

SIG Sauer pistols and rifles (most of the rifles are marketed under the J.P. Sauer & Sohn brand) are still manufactured in Germany and will be for the foreseeable future. Accurate and reliable, these firearms are some of the finest available in both the civilian and military market today.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.