SEAL Team 6, founded by Richard Marcinko in 1980, is responsible for U.S. counterterrorist operations in the maritime environment. They were made famous by their founder, who chronicled their beginnings in his autobiography "Rogue Warrior". Nowadays the correct name for this elite force is DEVGRU or the Naval Special Warfare Development Group. The reason for the disbandment and recreation of the team seems to be the fact that the Navy though Marcinko gave out a little too much info in his books. DEVGRU is currently based at Dam Neck, Virginia.

Operations in which Seal Team 6/DEVGRU have participated are:
1985 - Six deployed to the site of the Achille Lauro hijacking in anticipation of a possible assault on the vessel.
1985 - [SEAL Team 6 members responsible for the rescue and evacuation of Governor Paul Scoon from Grenada during Operation Urgent Fury. Four SEALs lost to drowning during helicopter insertion offshore(see "Rogue Warrior" for graphic tales about this).
1989 - The unit took part in Operation Just Cause as part of Task Force White. Their primary task, was the location and securing of Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega.
1990 - Operated in Panama as part of a secret operation code-named "Pokeweed" which had as its goal the apprehension of Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. Mission unsuccessful due to poor pre-assault intelligence.
1991 - SEAL Team 6 reportedly recovered Haitian President Jean Bertrand Aristide following the coup which deposed him.
1996 - The unit reportedly deployed to Atlanta, Georgia as part of a large US counterterrorist contingency plan for the 1996 Summer Olympics.

Information in part due to the Terrorism Research Center.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.