Important Body Chemical

S-Adenosylmethionine

Description and Background

SAM-e, SAM, or S-Adenosylmethionine is made in our bodies by joining an essential amino acid methionine with ATP or adenosyl-triphosphate. This substance is in all living things. It was discovered and is researched in Italy since 1952, and not even available in the United States until April, 1996 which is the 'stable' ActimetTM version. They have been using it in Europe for two decades as prescribed by doctors.

Sources

The ingestion of high doses of methionine in our food will not produce the same needed results as SAM itself made from from methionine. One can actually be poisoned by too much methionine, yet we need it to make SAM, and without enough, and lacking the proper amounts of vitamin B-12, or Folic Acid (B-6) one will have a too lean amount of SAM manufactured. Supplements are available by health food tablet makers as a stablized salt.

Effects

The body uses SAM in more than three dozen processes most involving methylatation (adding a carbon unit to a molecule) while cooperation with B-6 and B-12. Taking toxins out of our systems, making brain transmitting media, and creating sulfurous chemicals like gluthione and others that form cartilage. It's stimulation of the liver, usually postive, may, however, cause the bodies' disposal of medicines, and this aspect has yet to be fully studied. The need for the elderly, the arthritic, depressed and those with liver disease to take supplements is increased as they have less amounts being made.

Benefits

SAM-e has been shown to have a threefold application:

Depression

One must have this chemical to make neurotransmitters, and it is essential for production of the two phospholids-- phosphatidycholine and phosphatidylserine. These work with binding of seratonin and dopamine binding at neurotransmitter receptor sites and fix rigid brain cell membranes. These chemicals are what gives us that sense of well being, or else having the blues is only a good thing if we are Elmore James. SAM has been proven to be many times more effective than just the B-6 supplements, or even the St. John's Wort. The 'bummed-out' 'guinea pigs' were twelve percent more improved than the ones using the trycyclic antidepressant desipramine.

Those with Post-partum depression, (feeling down after having the baby) have been relieved with SAM, and has been a tremendous aid in restoring opiate addicts. When some folks get stomach problems (the only bad reported effect, other than bipolar individuals need doctor's observance {manic states can be enhanced.}) on more than 100 mgs at a time, it can be worked up by taking doses different amounts of times through a day, increasing gradually to the needed amount depending on the condition being treated: Depression's treatment being 400 mgs three times daily. You can buy enteric coated tablets that means they have a covering that helps slow down the distress gastrointestinally.

Migraine

For migraine, the results are obtained after continued use and develop over time. This extended usage is relatively safe compared to other medications.

Fibromyalgia

The constant generalized pain in the muscles and bones that is the life of those with fibromyalgia is alleviated better by 400 to 800 mgs of SAM than by the common treatment of transutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, or TENS. The mood and sleep deprivation, which causes a vicious circle effect are helped as well. And, another highlight is the lack of adverse side effects. While the newly awakened sufferers were less tired, and the joints and muscles more fluid, they still had the classic tender points, but still reduced better than the TENS treated. For others with joint pain, this is touted, especially because of its relation to cartilage, just like Glucosomine Chondroitin.

In Conclusion

This noder has tried the product and can vouch for a basic minor euphoriac condition. Then again, why would I buy a placebo to compare. But maybe it was the Royal Bee Pollen...but that is another node.

Source:
http://www.iherb.com (Which had excerpts of Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements) Information on package of SAM-e from Nature Made.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.