The SA-N-11 Grisom missile is a short-range naval SAM used by the Russian Navy as part of the CADS-N-1 Kashtan point defense system. It's an odd little beastie in the world of SAMs. Everything from its design to mode of operation is atypical. The SA-19 missile from which it's derived, part of the 2S6M Tunguska, uses a semi-automatic command to line-of-sight guidance mode which requires an operator to keep the target centered in a sight - this is obviously quite unsuitable for use on a pitching ship against maneuvering targets. Reports have been quite variable, but the most recent unclassified appraisals of the system suggest an automatic command guidance system linked to the on-mounting radar, combined with terminal semi-active laser homing. Recent versions may include passive radar homing as well.

The missile is launched from a canister by a solid-fueled rocket booster that accelerates it to around Mach 4. After a short burn, the booster drops away and the forward section of the missile continues toward its target ballistically, without power. It then homes in on its target and detonates nearby using an RF proximity fuze. It also has a secondary contact fuze, primarily for use against surface targets.

The missile can be used to engage missiles, fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters, small boats and ships, as well as theoretically against land targets. It has a range of about 8km, somewhat less against maneuvering targets. Because of its unpowered second stage, it is fairly ineffective against crossing or receding targets, even if they would otherwise be within its effective range. This is in contrast to most point-defense SAMs, like the RIM-116 RAM, which are capable of maneuvering and thrusting through most of their effective range.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.