Remarkably brilliant track from the Orb's Orblivion. This album is the Orb's statement on late 20th century paranoia, and "S.A.L.T", smartly named after both the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks and a biblical method for utterly destroying things, is its centerpiece. All types of synthesized sounds swirl around the lengthy sample, David Thewlis' apocolyptic rant from Mike Leigh's Naked. Just what you would expect from an album which begins with "Are you now or have you ever been..." and ends with "The youth of America on LSD!" Neat!


"Do you ever get the feeling that you're being followed?

Are you not familiar with the book of Revelations of St. John, the final book of the Bible prophesying the Apocalypse? They forced everyone to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead so that no one shall be able to buy or sell unless he has the mark, which is the name of the Beast or the number of his name, and the number of the Beast is 6-6-6.

What can such a specific prophecy mean? What is the mark?

Well, the mark is the bar code, the ubiquitous bar code that you'll find on every bog roll and every packet of Johnny's and every poxy pork pie and every bar code is divided into two parts by three markers and those three markers are always represented by the numbers 6-6-6-6!

Now what does it say? No one shall be able to buy or sell without that mark. And now what they're planning to do in order to eradicate all credit card fraud and in order to precipitate a totally cashless society - what they're planning to do, what they've already tested on the American troops - they're gonna subcutaneously laser tattoo that mark onto your right hand or onto your forehead. They're gonna replace plastic with flesh!

FACT!

In the same book of Revelation when the seven seals are broken open on the Day of Judgement, and the seven angels blow their trumpets - when the third angel blows her bugle, wormwood will fall from the sky, wormwood will poison a third part of all the waters and a third part of all the land, and many many many people will die. Now, do you know what the Russian translation for 'wormwood' is?

'Chernobyl'!

FACT!

On August the 18th, 1999, the planets of our solar system are gonna line up into the shape of a cross. They're gonna line up in the fixed signs of Aquarius, Leo, Taurus and Scorpio, which just happen to correspond to the four beasts of the Apocalypse as mentioned in the book of Daniel!

Another FACT!

Do you think that the amoeba ever dreamed that it would evolve into the frog? And when that first frog shimmied out of the water and employed its vocal chords in order to attract a mate or to deter a predator, do you think that that frog ever imagined that that insipient croak would evolve into all the languages of the world, into all the literature of the world? And just as that froggy could never possibly have conceived of Shakespeare so we can never possibly imagine our destiny. Look, if you take the whole of time represented by one year, we're only in the first few moments of the first of January. There's a long way to go. Only now we're not gonna sprout extra limbs and wings and things because evolution itself is evolving. When it comes, the Apocalypse itself will be part of the process of that leap of evolution. By the very definition of Apocalypse mankind will cease to exist, at least in a material form. Well, he'll evolve into something that transcends matter, into a species of pure thought, you with me?"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.