Ryerson University's journalism school. It is widely considered to be one of the best journalism schools in both Ontario and Canada.

The Ryerson School of Journalism was officially founded in 1950 after having evolved from Ryerson's Print Management school. The school combined theoretical learning with applied learning, requiring its students to gain hands-on experience with journalism before graduating. Students were also required to learn about the technical aspects of journalism such as printing presses so that they would be prepared for any line of work in the field.

The RSJ is comprised of both a four-year program for high school graduates and a two-year program for university graduates and three streams which allow students to specialize in either magazine, newspaper or broadcast journalism. The RSJ is currently working to create a new online journalism stream. It will be available for students entering their final year of study in 2006-07.

Magazine
The RSJ's magazine stream teaches the fundamentals of feature and profile writing as well as investigative journalism. It prepares students for careers in freelance and trade writing. All magazine students help to produce The Ryerson Review of Journalism in their final year of study.

Newspaper
The newspaper stream teaches skills essential in writing both hard news and soft news and educates its students about writing to deadline as well as media ethics. Students in their final year help to produce The Ryersonian and receive first-hand experience through an internship at a major newspaper.

Broadcast
The broadcast stream teaches radio and television production as well as writing and delivering news reports for both radio and television. Students in their final year produce a documentary and engage in an internship at a radio or television station.

Online
The RSJ is adding an online journalism stream for students who began in 2003-2004 and later. Unlike the other streams, it consists of one year of study. Interested students have to enroll in one of the other three streams for one year and then transfer into online. It will first become available in 2006-2007. I am beyond excited. (No, really.) The online stream will also consist of an internship and experience with an online masthead at the school.

In addition to the publications produced by each of the streams, journalism students have the opportunity to become involved with any of Ryerson's independently produced publications (that is, they operate independently from the RSJ and may not necessarily reflect the ideas or opinions of the school). Popular student-produced publications include:

  • The Eyeopener was created in protest to the managing editor's ability to censor any "inappropriate" content in The Ryersonian. The Eyeopener covers the more controversial issues that The Ryersonian avoids.
  • McClung's is Ryerson's feminist magazine. It is named for Nellie McClung. It seeks to publish articles that are of special interest to women.
  • CKLN 88.1 FM is Ryerson's student radio station. It seeks to promote "socially progressive ideas" and awareness of events in the Ryerson community.

    Ryerson obtained university status in 1993. Students who successfully complete the RSJ's requirements are awarded Bachelor of Journalism degrees.

    Competition for spaces in the RSJ is stiff. It is estimated that more than 2500 people applied for 120 spaces for the academic year beginning in September 2003.

    The school recently changed its curriculum; students who began the four-year program in 2004 have three chances to pass a grammar test if they wish to continue their studies.


    Information from http://www.ryerson.ca/journal/index.htm.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.