A singer. A leading light in Atlantic Records' storming of the pop music Bastille. Hits like "Lucky Lips", "Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean", "5-10-15 Hours". Like Etta James, she later allowed herself to be shoehorned into "jazz" or "blues" boxes, after the vagaries of the marketplace pushed her aside for younger, "prettier" chantoozies - she could still out-sing them all. In recent years, she has helped lead the fight for back royalties for herself and her 50s rhythm and blues peers.

I remember her chiefly for her double entendre laden rendition of If I Can't Sell It, I'll Keep Sittin' on It, composed by Alexander Hill and lyrics by Andy Razaf, which conflates the image of a chair with that of the singer's badonkadonk in the listener's mind.

I own a secondhand furniture store and I think my prices are fair, Course this real cheap guy I know came in one day. Saw this chair he wanted to buy, but he wouldn't, claimed the price was too high. So I looked straight in the eye, and this was my reply... If I can't sell it, I'm gonna sit down on it. I ain't gonna give it away. Now darling if you want it, you're gonna have to buy it. And I mean just what I say. Now how would you like to find this waitin at home for you every night. Only been used once or twice but it's still nice and TIGHT!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.