A term to describe the semi-flexible rubber insulated helical antennas used on handheld VHF and UHF transceivers. The full length of an antenna for around 155 MHz is about 2 meters. Since carrying a six inch tall radio with a six and a half foot long antenna wouldn't be very convienent or practical, the antenna is wound around a semiflexible core, tightly enough to be (typically) about 6 inches long and a half an inch in diameter. It's then covered in rubber to prevent the user from minor RF burns from coming into contact with the metal element. The same process is used for UHF antennas, even though their total length would wind up being only about 70 centimeters.

A Rubber Duck is, as you might have guessed, a toy made out of rubber in the shape of a duck. It would bob happily atop the water in which you bathed, staring at you with happy eyes. Chillingly happy eyes.

HAUNTINGLY HAPPY EYES.

Ahem. Anyway, these days, Rubber Ducks are actually made out of a thick vinyl, as it is cheaper and more durable than rubber. Most come with a nozzle (usually at the bottom) so that if you squeeze the duck, it will squeak a happy noise at you.

While Rubber Ducks have been around for a long time, they received a boost in popularity due (in no small part) to Ernie from Sesame Street. He loves his Rubber Duck so much, he even wrote a song about him.

"Rubber Ducky"

Rubber Ducky, you're the one! (Squeak Squeak!)
You make bath time lots of fun! (Squeak Squeak!)
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you. (Squeak Squeak!)

(Woah Woah - Woah-Be-Oh!)

Rubber Ducky, joy of joys, (Squeak Squeak!)
When I squeeze you, you make noise! (Squeak Squeak!)

Rubber Ducky, you're my very best friend, it's true!

(SqueakSqueakSqueakSqueakSqueakSqueakSqueak!)

Every day when I,
Make my way to the tubby...
I find a little fella who's,
Cute and yellow and chubby.

Rub-a-dub-dubby!

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine (Squeak Squeak!)
And I'm lucky that you're mine (Squeak Squeak!)
Rubber ducky, I'm awfully fond of you. (Squeak Squeak!)

Ernie takes a break from singing to rub down Rubber Ducky with his Scrub-Brush.

Every day when I,
Make my way to the tubby...
I find a little fella who's,
Cute and yellow and chubby.

Rub-a-dub-dubby!

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine (Squeak Squeak!)
And I'm lucky that you're mine (Squeak Squeak!)
Rubber ducky, I'd like a whole pond of -
Rubber ducky I'm awfully fonnnnnnnnnd of you!

(SqueakSqueakSqueakSqueakSqueakSqueakSqueak!)

This song is frightening, as it can be re-written into a love song without much work.

A rubber duck, is truly the most magnificent thing in the bathing universe. Next to luke warm water, and some soap of course, and maybe a bathtub, but anyway, I digress.

The rubber duck was first created as a childrens toy back in the mid 50's I think, and became an instant hit with parents as a pacifier for troublesome children at bath time. They are fascinating to young children because they look and feel totaly solid, yet when you drop them on water, they float just like a real duck, and they also quack when you squeeze them, also like a real duck.

They are often coloured yellow, which is known to be one the two most visually stimulating colours along with red, and the shininess, smooth texture, and warm pleasant atmosphere of the bath often lead to the rubber duck being accepted deep into the psyche. I used to dream about them all the time, and I believe that a lot of adults will keep one for their bath, but never admit it, for the simple reason that it is innocent and fun and most of all childish.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.