The cap badge of the Royal Marines differs from the corps crest in that it does not include the motto or the battle honour Gibraltar. It is therefore merely a simplified version of the crest, cast in bronze or in plastic (anodized). The cap badge is worn with well-deserved pride on the hard-won green beret (denoting completion of the extremely tough, 4-week Commando Course at Lympstone, Devon; in addition to the 26-weeks training to be a Royal Marine) and on caps with dress uniforms when on parade. Officers' and Warrant Officers' cap badges have been in two parts, with the Lion and Crown seperated from the Globe and Laurel Wreath, since the amalgamation of the RMLI and the RMA in 1923. There are two types of Corps badges, anodised (shiny; for parades and dress uniforms)and bronze (everyday). The actual crest of the Royal Marines consists of the following features, those marked with a * not included in the cap badge:
The Lion and Crown-
This denotes a 'Royal' regiment. Admiral Lord St Vincent, recognising the great service which the Corps had given to that point, recommended to King George III that they should be given this title. It was granted to the Corps by Royal Command on 29th April 1802.
It is generally accepted, but not certain, that the Laurel Wreath was awarded to the Corps in recognition of the gallantry of the Marines at the battle and capture of Belle Isle in 1761.
In 1827 HRH The Duke of Clarence presented new Colours to all the Grand Divisions. In doing so he announced that HM King George IV had directed that the difficulty of selecting Battle Honours amidst so many glorious deedswas too great, so the Corps should have the 'Great Globe itself' as its emblem on the crest, to be surrounded by the Laurel Wreath. The Globe also represents the fact that Royal Marines were, and still are, involved in conflicts all around the world.
Appeared on the crest at the same time as the Globe, 1827. 'Gibraltar' was retained on the crest as the first great Battle Honour
won by the Marines, to represent all previous and subsequent honours. This, along with the Globe, was in place of the 109 glorious deeds won by 1827 that clearly could not all be represented on the crest.
The Foul Anchor-
Incorporated into the emblem in 1747, the Foul Anchor (an anchor entangled in a rope) is the badge of the Lord High Admiral and indicates that the Corps is part of the Royal Navy.
*The Corps Motto-
Per Mare Per Terram - By Sea By Land, reflecting the amphibious nature of Marines. It is not known when this motto was adopted, but it first appeared on the caps worn by the Marines at the victorious Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775. It is of interest that the plural of this motto, Per Mare Per Terras, is one of the mottos of the MacDonalds (a Scottish Clan), and that the son of the Jacobite heroine, Flora MacDonald, served with the Marines in the American War of Independence.