A very powerful weed killer from the Scotts company. It comes in varing sizes of sprays from small bottles to very large "bush-clearing" jugs. They also produce a foam Roundup so that you can see where you have and haven't sprayed. The active ingredient is glyphosate.

Roundup commercials have traditionally been fairly memorable - weeds that talk about a spray that killed their friends, etc.


Roundup is also the name of an open source software project. It is a very flexible bug and issue tracker written in the python programming language.

World War II

Roundup was the codename for allied plans to invade northwest Europe in 1943. Eisenhower formulated this plan, along with plan Sledgehammer in 1941, before the U.S. had even joined the War. (Sledgehammer called for invading Europe in 1942, and was shelved in April of that year, when the plans were formally presented).

If the Russians had been weakened by the end of '42 such the the Germans could oppose this strongly, plan Torch (the invasion of North Africa) was to be used instead. Sub and shipping problems made it impossible anyway. In the fullness of time, Torch was implemented in 1942, then the invasion of Sicily and the Italian mainland occupied 1943.

At their November-December 1943 meeting in Tehran, Churchill and Roosevelt set May 1944 as the final date for operation Roundup. Thus it became the Normandy invasion.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.