A 6-voice polyphonic analog/digital hybrid synthesizer, with a 61-note velocity and pressure sensitive keyboard. Released around 1985, it also features MIDI support.

There is only one DCO per voice, but the Juno-2 makes up for it with a built-in chorus effect, a sub-oscillator and pulse width modulation. Thanks to these, the sound isn't as thin as with many one-oscillator-per-voice synths.

The Alpha Juno-2 features a four-stage envelope generator with adjustable levels and times, which is an improvement over a standard ADSR:s. Unfortunately there's only one envelope and LFO for each voice. The LFO can however be set to an extremely slow rate, making the synth great for trendy filter sweeps. Another nice function for modern electronic music makers is the chord memory.

For storing your sounds, the synth has 64 user-programmamble memory units along with another 64 for preset sounds. It is possible to upgrade the amount by another 64 with an expensive RAM cartridge.
The presets are said to be better sounding than in most other synths of the same time period.

Like in the JX series, there is only one "alpha-dial" for controlling the sound parameters. These are grouped into modulation rate & depth, brilliance and envelope times. These groups are extravagantly titled "Biometrics". Each part of a group can be controlled simultaneously with the dial.
The external PG-300 module was released to help ease the programming.

The Alpha Juno-2 is also available as a rackmount version, the MKS-50.


back to Roland

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.