Born in 1938, Rod Laver was an Australian tennis player whose speed on the court earned him the nickname of the "Rocket". One of the great modern players, he won all the major championships. He is the only player to have won the Grand Slam twice (1962, 69), and was Wimbledon champion four times. Laver was the first player to earn $1 million in prize money, and he won eleven Grand Slam singles titles.

Laver's first major success was winning the Australian Open in 1960. In 1961 he was victorious in twelve major tournaments and became the second player to win the Grand Slam. He turned professional in 1963, having won Wimbledon the previous two years, and returned to win in 1968 and 1969 when Wimbledon went open. He returned to the Davis Cup in 1973 and won all his matches, his third successful Davis Cup campaign.

Rod Laver retired in 1975, and currently resides in the United States.

A type of tennis shoe that is considered the best shoe to wear for the game of footbag (often incorrectly called 'Hackey Sac") which is usually modified by cutting the bottom part of the lace hole flap and lacing up the shoe differently to open up the toes for a better kicking area.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.