"Rocks Tonic Juice Magic" by Saves The Day
Album: Through Being Cool, Track 4

Let me take this awkward saw
And run it against your thighs
Cut some flesh away
I'll carry this piece of you with me
Because all I can say tonight
Is that I hate you
But it would be all right

If we could see each other sometime
If I could somehow make you mine

And if not I'll take my rusty spoons
And dig out your blue eyes
I'll swallow them down to my colon
They're gonna burn like hell tonight
Because you're beautiful
Just not on the inside
Light comes from within
And your beaming eyes don't seem so bright

My heart is on the floor
Why don't you step on it?
When I think of all the things you've done

Boardwalks and breaking waves
Made our Saturdays
I'd buy you lemonade right now
if you were here
But then I'd throw it in your face
And I'd listen to you cry
And I'd remember how I miss
our nights under ocean skies

You and I are like when fire
and the ocean floor collide

This song is one of the better examples of the fine songwriting by Saves The Day's Chris Conley. The band is famous for the rather disturbing imagery in their lyrics. Many people interpret their songs in the wrong way because of this, and they think that Saves The Day and their fans are a bunch of psychos. The poetic nature of these lyrics does provide vivid imagery, but it's the messages behind the lyrics that are important.

One great thing about this band is that their songs are completely open to interpretation. The members of Saves The Day dislike today's popular music because it has no substance. They combat that lack of substance by putting out high quality, meaningful music. Long gone are the days when you can listen to a song and enjoy deciphering its meaning. On the other hand, masterpieces like Rocks Tonic Juice Magic are refreshing and great to hear.

It's hard to explain why popular music is so popular. Quality has very little to do with pop value. Though the term "sellout" is thrown around way too much these days, all too many musicians do exactly that. I can't understand why a middle or upper-class white kid from Suburbia would buy gangsta rap albums, and I'd like to see some of those wannabe ghetto thugs survive a day in Harlem. They can't understand why anyone would want to listen to music that no one else listens to. It's a shame that most people will not open their minds and stray from the norm to listen to other styles of music. But hell, it's their ears.

When people ask what kind of music I listen to, I don't give a one-word answer. I send them the MP3 of this song. Invariably, they then ask me what kind of music it is. Is it punk? Indie? That ill-defined style known as emo? Saves The Day has been classified as all of these. When asked for the major bands that influenced their music, they give an eclectic but distinctive list. Among them are The Beatles, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Clash, Jawbreaker, The Descendents, and Farside, whose song Hero provided the inspiration for the name Saves The Day. Each of these influences finds its way one way or another into some part of their music, and as a result of this they are very hard to label. This song in particular encompasses many aspects of their overall style, one that has changed greatly since the band's formation.

CST Approved

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.