Because Cleveland Rocks, it makes a great home for the Hall, a place that honors the innovators and the movers-and-shakers of the Rock'n'Roll Age. There are bad points about fossilizing the medium like this, but radio programmers and bad rock crits have been doing the same thing for years, anyway. It's great to see recognition for people (Ruth Brown, Johnny Otis, Tom Donahue, Jerry Wexler...) left out by the agendas of the suits.

http://rockhall.com/

A rather interesting museum devoted to honoring the legends, and sometimes the bands/singers who weren't popular but led quiet musical revolutions. Unfortunately, it is rather commercial and tickets alone are $15. And they hawk all sorts of t-shirts and such.

Contains such items as ZZTop's cars/guitars, Aerosmith's outfits and stage mic (complete with tied tye-died scarf), and Jim Morrison's boy scout uniform.

We had lots of fun during the construction of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio. Part of the fun was site visits from rock stars. (For example, one day the construction manager failed to recognize Billy Joel and screamed at him about not wearing his hardhat.)

One of my favorite days was our visit form Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder. The publicity office had called a week in advance and told us to expect a special guest, but wouldn't say who it was. They were that if word got out we'd be swarmed by fans. So on April 1 Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam shows up and is given the full tour by the Project Manager.

Early on, the PM pulled aside a staff member and asked who this star was (he'd never heard of Pearl Jam - knowledge of Rock & Roll was not a requirement for the job). Anyway, he was nice enough to Eddie. He was also very impressed with Eddy's knowledge of construction!

At the end of the tour, after each of us were offered an autograph, Eddie signed his hardhat for our PM (as many celebrities did - it was kind of a tradition. He wrote "To Robert, Happy April Fools!" and signed a name that was NOT Eddie vedder. Still, the PM didn't get it!! We had to explain it to him later.

This wasn't the real Eddy Vedder. It was one of the construction workers who just happened to look very similar. The Engineers on the project had arranged the joke, working with the PR office they were able to secure a limo and even a small group of fans.


By the way, the official name is "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum". You'll get in trouble with management if you don't write and say the whole thing.

I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum on a trip to Cleveland this week, and I had a much better time than I expected. In particular, I learned a lot about early bands and singers I hadn't really heard much about before, such as Little Anthony and the Imperials. While there are certainly fair criticisms of the place with regard to who's been inducted and who hasn't -- influential acts like King Crimson, the Smiths, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and Kraftwerk have thus far been left out, and in my opinion Edgard Varèse really needs a mention in "early influences" section of the museum -- it's a neat place to visit if you're any kind of pop music geek.

There is a whole lot to see in the museum; the bulk of the exhibits are on Level 0, a basement level that obviously isn't visible from outside. The upshot is that the museum is much larger than you think it's going to be as you drive past the pyramid-shaped building. They have special exhibits that rotate in and out; there was a whole room dedicated to John Mellencamp, which was fine, but given their recent deaths I would have preferred in-depth exhibits on Prince or David Bowie. The museum advertises a rap exhibit but I found it rather slight compared to other exhibits.

My recommendation, if you can only go for a single day and want to see as much as possible, is to go on a Wednesday. The museum is open from 10am to 9pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays and is open 10am to 5:30pm on other weekdays. So you get an extra 3.5 hours to wander around, and the advantage of going on a Wednesday is that the crowds will be much thinner, apart from the occasional rowdy school group that rushes through.

We arrived right at 10am and stayed until 9 and managed to see all the exhibits and watch all the movies they were showing in the theatres, but the special exhibits on the top two floors of the building were closed, and if those had been open we might not have been able to see everything. We did not listen to all the recordings; I think there are something over 48 hours of recordings available in the various exhibits.

The cafe is on Level 3 and like every other museum cafe I've ever encountered, the food is overpriced, but I was impressed by the quality. Your mileage could certainly vary there.

The museum recommends that you park in the garage for the Great Lakes Science Center, which is right next door to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum. Parking is about $10, and leaving your car there is convenient if you want to hit both museums in a single day. Be aware that the science center is not open late on Wednesdays, and so you will have to walk around the building to retrieve your car, which may be an issue if you find yourself dealing with sub-zero wind chill due to a gale off the freezing lake, as we did. Fortunately, the walk probably isn't quite long enough to result in a frostbitten face, but be prepared. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum does have a free coat check in the basement.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.