Let's get the negative out of the way. Roberto Alomar will forever be stigmatized as "the player that spat in the umpire's face". There is no denying that fact at all. What he did was inexcusable and he should be ashamed of it. He became the baseball media's favourite whipping boy. He epitomized the "rich spoiled brat" image that baseball was trying to avoid with their players. Alomar was fined and suspended. Alomar answered all the questions. Alomar was publicly humiliated. Surprisingly, Alomar and the umpire (John Hirschbeck) patched things up and remain friendly to this day.

Now, on to the good side of Roberto Alomar.

Roberto Alomar is considered by many to be one of the greatest hitting and fielding second basemen in the history of baseball. He has won (as of 2000) 8 Gold Gloves (best fielder at his position), has been an All-Star 10 times (and MVP of the All-Star game in 1998), and has won two World Series titles (with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1992-93). As good as a hitter in the regular season (.304 career batting average), he's an even better player in the playoffs (.325 average in 53 games).

Based on his seasonal, playoff and career statistics, plus his awards, it is safe to assume that 5 years after he retires, Roberto Alomar will be a first-ballot inductee into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Other personal notes:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.