Rovert L. Stevenson (1850-1894) was a writer. He was born in Edinburgh (Scotland) and he was always persued by his sickness. He died in the South seas, where he had gone to aliviate his health problems.
He wrote (I will complete this over time):

  • 1866 - The Pentland Rising, 1866
  • 1871 - The Charity Bazaar
  • 1875 - An Appeal to the Clergy
  • 1878 - An Inland Voyage
  • 1879 - Travels with a Donkey in the CĂ©vennes
  • 1882 - New Arabian Nights
  • 1882 - The Story of a Lie
  • 1883 - The Silverado Squatters: Sketchers from a Californian Mountain
  • 1883 - Treasure Island
  • 1885 - A Child's Garden of Verses
  • 1886 - The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • 1886 - Kidnapped
  • 1887 - The Merry Men and Other Tales and Fables
  • 1887 - Underwoods
  • 1887 - Ticonderoga
  • 1893 - Catriona

Robert Louis Stevenson, a man who was proud to call himself a Scot, was brought up in Edinburgh, Scotland, where he studied to become a lawyer. After qualifying he did indeed start down this career path but he used to amuse himself by writing short stories and essays for magazines. These brought in small amounts of money and earned him a good reputation locally, but it was in 1883, when Treasure Island was published, that he decided to take up writing full time.

The success of Treasure Island altered the direction of his writing: from now on he concentrated almost exclusively on similar romantic fiction. Nicopa has mentioned his three best-known works above, but The Master of Ballantrae was also well-loved in its time, and the unfinished Weir of Hermiston (published two years after his death) is considered his masterpiece. His death in Samoa, where he had settled in 1888, cut short the career of one of the most accessible of Victorian writers.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.