In 1984, the Mystery Writers of America established a new award for the best first mystery short story by an American author. The award was named after the late Robert L. Fish, a mystery writer himself for many years who was always ready and willing to help aspiring writers in the field. Sponsored by Mr. Fish's estate, the award includes both a plaque and a monetary award, and is announced annually at the Edgar Awards banquet. In order to be eligible for the award, a short story must represent the first published mystery or suspense story by an author, even if he or she has previously had other works published outside the genre, and the story must be published in America. Except in special circumstances, the stories must be submitted by the editor of the magazine in which the story first appeared.

And the winners are:


Sources:
Mystery Writers of America. "The Robert L. Fish Memorial Award." The Mystery Writers of America Web Site. <http://www.mysterywriters.org/awards/fish.html> (December 17, 2002)
----. "Submitting for the Robert L. Fish Memorial Award." The Mystery Writers of America Web Site. <http://www.mysterywriters.org/awards/fish_entry.html> (January 2, 2002)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.