Here is what to do when you first meet someone in person.

Tell them everything about yourself (yes, that too)
Stand real close, reach out and touch their arms a lot.
Bring up religion, abortion and smoking habits. Do this right away, within the first 10 minutes or so and do not listen to the other person's side.
( You know how you feel, right? Why listen to them?)

Tell this person a great deal about your parents and ask them for detailed information about their parents- people love this.
Tell this person you never really "keep up" on current events. You don't read the paper and you don't vote. It's a waste of time, isn't it?

If you have a meal with someone and you have gotten sick recently at that restaurant, give them details. If you really dislike the kind of food they are eating, telling them why, give reasons why it bothers you.

If they drive you somewhere, Turn off the radio/CD player in their car. If you are driving turn your music up very loud and ask them if they don't just love this stuff?

If they become physically affectionate with you and it makes you uncomfortable do not tell them about it. Wait until the next day or after intercourse, whichever comes first.
Then tell them how uncomfortable you are and how bad it made you feel. If you need to,... cry... A lot.

Generally, in all cases, do not be direct with your wants and needs. Evasive works. Most people can figure out on their own what you like and don't like.
Also, manners are old fashioned.
Please and Thank you and all that stuff are passe.
Don't even give it a thought.


Best of luck
Have a nice day

(Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary)

The idea is that we all have internal (sometimes subconscious) conversations with ourselves about why we do things. We have self-justifications, self-rationalizations, what we believe are personal preferences, and what we believe are things that external forces are forcing us to do.

When we do activity X, we may tell ourselves that there are many reasons for doing X, but one of those reasons is the most important - the primary reason we use in our internal conversation to convince ourselves to continue to do activity X. That reason may be because we think it's fun or that reason may be because we are being forced to do it.

When a parent orders a child to eat his vegetables, the idea is that the child now has an internal conversation with himself: "I have to eat this vegetable because I'm am being forced to by Mom and Dad." If this reason becomes the primary reason (ie. the primary motivation in the child's internal conversation) for eating vegetables, then it pushes aside all the other reasons for eating vegetables.  This often results in the child not wanting to eat vegetables because they no longer see any positive reasons for doing it, and only see negative reasons for doing it (ie. being forced to by his parents).

Even in the case of being convinced that eating vegetables is "good for you" - if that becomes the primary motivator, then the person may become resigned to the idea that he must eat it merely for health reasons, not because he actually enjoys it. On the other hand, if he becomes convinced that the main reason for not eating something else is because it's "bad for you", then that leaves him open to the idea that there are actually many reasons for wanting to eat the "unhealthy food" and the only reason for avoiding it is for health reasons.

One might say the same of some people who eventually end up hating their jobs. If their internal conversation about why they do what they do is because they are after money or respect from the community, any internal reasons for actually liking the activity itself may fall by the wayside. The result, then, is that if they lose the money or respect from the community, they also lose the desire to continue at the job, even if it's something they had dreamed as a child would be something they'd find fun and interesting.

See also:
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
Punished by Rewards

Reverse psychology is based on the simple idea that sometimes when you tell people to do one thing, they will choose to do some other thing. As you may have guessed, this is not actually a sub-branch of psychology; the phrase was apparently coined by a professor at Harvard Business School in the 1920s to make his marketing lectures sound more interesting. While it is still largely a marketing term, it has leaked into common usage, and has been used by the masses since at least the 1950s.

The classic example of reverse psychology is the salesman telling his mark "well, that model is probably a little too expensive/refined for you; let's look at something a little cheaper/simpler". The idea is that by putting the customer on the defensive from the start, they will try to prove that they aren't cheap, stupid, or tasteless by spending more. The term is used in many different contexts, and it is unsafe to assume that an author or speaker is using it in any particular sense. Stores that do not overtly display their goods, limited edition items, and even TV shows with abrasive leading characters (such as Hell's Kitchen) may be considered forms of reverse psychology.

In less technical contexts, you may hear parents say that they are using reverse psychology on their kids when they say things like "I know you couldn't possibly eat any more vegetables!", rather than "you had better eat some more vegetables!" In addition, any variation of the idea you want what you can't get qualifies as reverse psychology, and there are web-pages that will be glad to tell you how to apply this to any area of your life, from child rearing to getting promoted; apparently dating is a popular subject for reverse psychology. If you choose to visit any of these sites, keep in mind that they are telling you to manipulate others for your own benefit. This may be okay in the case of children (YMMV), but generally it is not a brilliant idea to lie to and manipulate others if you plan on having a long-term relationship with them, in business or love.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.