Re*proach" (r?-pr?ch"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Reproached (-pr?cht"); p. pr. & vb. n. Reproaching.] [F. reprocher, OF. reprochier, (assumed) LL. reproriare; L. pref. re- again, against, back + prope near; hence, originally, to bring near to, throw in one's teeth. Cf. Approach.]

1.

To come back to, or come home to, as a matter of blame; to bring shame or disgrace upon; to disgrace.

[Obs.]

I thought your marriage fit; else imputation, For that he knew you, might reproach your life. Shak.

2.

To attribute blame to; to allege something disgracefull against; to charge with a fault; to censure severely or contemptuously; to upbraid.

If ye be reproached for the name of Christ. 1 Peter iv. 14.

That this newcomer, Shame, There sit not, and reproach us as unclean. Milton.

Mezentius . . . with his ardor warmed His fainting friends, reproached their shameful flight. Repelled the victors. Dryden.

Syn. -- To upbraid; censure; blame; chide; rebuke; condemn; revile; vilify.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*proach", n. [F. reproche. See Reproach, v.]

1.

The act of reproaching; censure mingled with contempt; contumelious or opprobrious language toward any person; abusive reflections; as, severe reproach.

No reproaches even, even when pointed and barbed with the sharpest wit, appeared to give him pain. Macaulay.

Give not thine heritage to reproach. Joel ii. 17.

2.

A cause of blame or censure; shame; disgrace.

3.

An object of blame, censure, scorn, or derision.

Come, and let us build up the wall of Jerusalem, that we be no more a reproach. Neh. ii. 17.

Syn. -- Disrepute; discredit; dishonor; opprobrium; invective; contumely; reviling; abuse; vilification; scurrility; insolence; insult; scorn; contempt; ignominy; shame; scandal;; disgrace; infamy.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.