Generally refers to a branch of Christianity whose beliefs combine evangelical fundamentalism with conservative political activism. Leaders of the Religious Right believe that Christian values can best be implemented in society through legislation and the election of candidates sympathetic to their aims. This quote from Beverly LaHaye of Concerned Women for America nicely encapsulates this philosophy:

"Yes, religion and politics do mix. America is a nation based on biblical principles. Christian values dominate our government. The test of those values is the Bible. Politicians who do not use the bible to guide their public and private lives do not belong in office."

Two major problems with this approach have arisen:

  1. It doesn't seem to work. Attempts at the moral engineering of American society through the passsage of laws have so far failed to make anyone fundamentally better or brought America closer to embracing a fundamentalist evangelical concept of Biblical morality.
  2. Two former members of the Religious Right say in their book Blinded By Might that while mixing Christianity and politics has failed to reform politics, it has succeeded to a great degree in corrupting the Church. It turns the Gospel into a political platform, leads many to equate "real" Christianity with membership in the Republican party, and causes the Church to adopt the attack strategies of an electoral campaign while forsaking the example of Jesus.
"Religious Right" organizations include:

A group who seems largely dissatisfied with American principles and constitutionally-protected rights, wishing to change them to create a Christian society out of this country.

They often try to encourage the government to legislate morality, and endorse candidates who will do just that, with no thought to what is permissible under the constitution.

They often demonstrate a remarkable lack of tolerance and acceptance for those who are different, and usually are willing to make others suffer and be discriminated against so they can be happy.

Whenever they gain a large amount of control, they demonstrate the statement "majority rule is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.