Regular -ar Verbs are those verbs whose infinitive form ends in -ar, and whose conjugation scheme is like that of hablar. Once you learn the infinitive form of the word, and the corresponding endings that indicate different verb tenses, your knowledge of Spanish will grow enormously. Let us begin.

Here is the form of the verb endings that will be used in this node:

-Yo
-
-Él, Ella, Usted
-We
-Ellos, Ellas, Ustedes

Indicative

Present Indicative: Cortar

The first tense anyone learns is the present tense. This is used for things that are currently happening. The endings for the present tense are:

-o
-as
-a
-amos
-an

You ditch the -ar ending and tack on the correct ending.

Corto
Cortas
Corta
Cortamos
Cortan

Imperfect Indicative: Bailar

Next we learn the Imperfect tense. The Imperfect tense is for describing things that happened in the past, habitually. For instance, if you used to walk every other day, you would use the imperfect. It is also used for stating a person's age or telling the time, in the past tense. If you are saying that "he was 67 years old at the time" you would use the Imperfect.

-aba
-abas
-aba
-ábamos
-aban

Just remember to add the AB and you will be ABnormally good at the imperfect.

Bailaba
Bailabas
Bailaba
Bailábamos
Bailaban

Preterite Indicative: Mirar

Prepare for the excitement of THE PRETERITE. The preterite is the past tense that refers to discrete actions that are assumed to be completed. It is the difference between going to Disneyland one time when you are twelve, and getting a job at Disneyland and going there every day. One is preterite, the other imperfect.


-aste

-amos
-aron

Miré
Miraste
Miró
Miramos
Miraron

Future Indicative: Amar

Ahh, the future. Where robots fall in love with humans, humans fall in love with clones, and clones fall in love with robots. The future tense is used to describe things that will happen in the future.


-ás

-emos
-án

Amé
Amás
Amá
Amemos
Amán

Conditional Indicative: Lavar

The conditional tense is used to express probability or contingency. The conditional expresses that something would happen, if the circumstances were different or conditions were met. The conditional is also used to express would, could, probably, might.... etc. It also used to speculate.

-ía
-ías
-ía
-íamos
-ían

Notice that the conditional is just the Imperfect with an -í and without the -AB. You use it when you arn't ABsolutly certain you are correct.

Lavía
Lavías
Lavía
Lavíamos
Lavían


HERE BE DRAGONS


Everything before this point was in the Indicative Mood, making statements of fact or beliefs about the past, present, and future. We had the present, the imperfect, the preterite, the future, and conditional.

But we are not finished. We have miles to go before we sleep. We still need to deal with the Subjunctive and the Perfective aspects of the verb. Damn it.

Subjunctive

The subjunctive is used to express things that are not true, which are contrary to fact. It is used to express the importance of an action that has not yet occurred, it is used to wish, it is used to hope, it is to pine for a better situation.

Present Subjunctive: Ganar

-e
-es
-e
-emos
-en

Gane
Ganes
Gane
Ganemos
Ganen

You know to use the Subjunctive based on context, such as "It is important that..." or "I really hope...".

Imperfect Subjunctive: Nadar

Take the endings for the Imperfect Indicative. Replace the B's with R's. Stir vigorously.

-ara
-aras
-ara
-áramos
-aran

Nadara
Nadaras
Nadara
Nadáramos
Nadaran

This is used to describe actions in the past that were imperfect, such as statements like "I had hoped that..." or "It would have been nice if...".

Future Subjunctive

The future subjunctive is very rarely seen, and is most often replaced by using the Present Subjunctive.

Present Subjunctive: I hope that it is sunny tomorrow.
Future Subjunctive: Tomorrow, I will hope it is sunny.

The difference is subtle and makes me a little sleepy. To make the Future Subjunctive, take the Imperfect Subjunctive, and replace the final A's with E's.

-are
-ares
-are
-áremos
-aren

Perfect

The perfect is achieved by taking the verb haber, and conjugating it in the correct tense. Then, slap the participle form of the verb on the end. The participle for of -AR verbs is formed by replacing the final R of the infinitive with -do. Cantar becomes Cantado. Esperar becomes Esperado.

Present Perfect: Preguntar

This is for describing things that a person has done in the present. She has eaten. They have danced.

He + Participle
Has + Participle
Ha + Participle
Hemos + Participle
Han + Participle

He preguntado
Has preguntado
Ha preguntado
Hemos preguntado
Han preguntado

Past Perfect: Trabajar

This is for describing things that a person has done in the past. We had painted. He had spoken.

Había + Participle
Habías + Participle
Había + Participle
Habíamos + Participle
Habían + Participle

Había trabajado
Habías trabajado
Había trabajado
Habíamos trabajado
Habían trabajado

Future Perfect: Peinar

This is for describing things that a person will have done in the future.

Habré + Participle
Habrás + Participle
Habrá + Participle
Habremos + Participle
Habrán + Participle

Habré peinado
Habrás peinado
Habrá peinado
Habremos peinado
Habrán peinado

Conditional Perfect: Escuchar

Like the Conditional Indicative, this construction expresses probability. She would have washed the dishes, and the like.

Habría + Participle
Habrías + Participle
Habría + Participle
Habríamos + Participle
Habrían + Participle

Habría escuchado
Habrías escuchado
Habría escuchado
Habríamos escuchado
Habrían escuchado

And finally...

The Imperative: Fumar

The Imperative is used for commands.

-(The first person has no imperative form)
-a
-e
-emos
-en

¡Fuma!
¡Fume!
¡Fumemos!
¡Fumen!

Regular -ar Verb Repository

Amar | Ayudar | Bailar | Cambiar | Cantar | Dejar | Entrar | Esperar | Expresar | Ganar | Gastar | Hablar | Lavar | Llamar | Llevar | Mandar | Marchar | Mirar | Montar | Nadar | Olvidar | Pagar | Parar | Preparar | Quedar | Tirar | Tomar | Trabajar | Viajar

Wasn't that fun?

Now you have roughly 70 different endings to conjugate -ar verbs with, and 29 verbs to do it with, leading to nearly 2000 different conjugated verbs!

Don't say I never gave you anything.


† There is another version of the imperfect subjunctive, seen in literature, with the endings being

-ase
-ases
-ase
-ásemos
-asen

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.