Red vs. Blue:
The Blood Gulch Chronicles
Church: I can't believe I actually died for this war.
Introduction:
Since the founding of time (and by time I mean NES), video game players have been pitted against each other, man and machine alike. They are subject duels from sports to wars. Player vs player. Red vs blue. Despite video game history, I am not here to speak about the traditional colors of video game avatars. No, I am here to speak of humor! So, with out further hesitation... I give my fellow noders "Red Vs. Blue"!

"In the year 2552... a hero arose, a cyborg known only by the name Master Chief." This hero was introduced in the game "Halo" for the XBOX computer gaming system. After thousands of hours of gaming world-wide, and hundreds of fans with too much time on their hands. An online revolution was spawned. A web comic, an online movie known only as "Red Vs. Blue." To say the least, it's funny as hell. Perhaps not hell. I mean hell isn't all too funny. So let's say it's as funny as something really freakin' funny!

The plot:
Anyone who has played the game Halo, is familiar with its intense multiplayer. For those who aren't familiar. It pits two opposing forces (the red team and the blue team) against each other. Why? are they fighting? So that someone, somewhere will create a web series based on these two teams' adventures in a seemingly random, non strategic box canyon. Like the fighting in the game, there really is no point to the series aside from one liners and video game humor.

What it is:
It's a series of QuickTime movies, at least 2 minutes each (15 to 30MB), of fighting, joking, and random oddities. The series is based off the multiplayer in Halo. It exploits the lack of depth in said game by comparing to some sort of civil war. The idea is far fetched, but when you think of it so is the game (and thus this series). That is exactly what makes this series so funny. It's random and adds pointless, mock-serious depth to a game never made to have one.

Red Vs. Blue uses in game, multiplayer clips, edited together with voice overs. Over all, the quality is fairly high level. The shots, transitions, voices, and scripts are all well done and give a professional feel to the movies, but it is produced by a group of fans.

Rating:
I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 penguins.
The scripts are funny. The shots are nice. The acting is good. The series makes me laugh, although some of the jokes are a bit of a reach and some try too hard for their effect. All in all the series is very well done for a little group of guys, but I doubt that you could enjoy it if you are a non-player.

The website:
http://www.redvsblue.com
For the Red Vs Blue series go to Video Projects: Blood Gulch.
Or hit: http://www.redvsblue.com/bloodgulch.shtml directly.

The site is updated publicly on Sundays, but has a sponsors page allowing you a two day advanced download on their sponsors forum for $5.

Characters:
Red team:
Sarge
Pvt. Dexter Grif
Pvt. Dick Simmons
Pvt. Dick Simmons 2.0
Pvt. Franklin Delano Donut
Lopez the Heavy
the puma
Blue team:
Pvt. Leonard L.Church
Pvt. Leonard L.Church
Tucker
Michael J. Caboose
Sheila: the tank lady
Tex
Frank "Doc" DuFresne

Simmons: Do you ever wonder why we're here?
Grif: One of life's great mysteries isn't it? Why are we here? I mean, are we the product of some cosmic coincidence? Or is there really a God, watching everything. You know, with a plan for us and stuff. I don't know man, but it keeps me up at night.
Simmons: What? I mean why are we out here, in this canyon.
Grif: Uh... Oh... Yeah...
Simmons: What's all this stuff about God?
Grif: Uh... um... Nothing.

Tell me what you think of the series with a /msg, and as always tell me how I messed up with this node if you find a typo. Hell, just tell me anything about anything you want!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.