A cool music shop in Rochester, NY. The Record Archive was founded in 1975 in a flea market, and has since grown into two stores, one located at 1394 Mt. Hope Avenue, and a second location (which opened in 1994) at 1880 East Ave.

The store was founded by Dick Storms, who, bears a striking resemblance (well, headshot at least) to Benjamin Franklin.

In addition to the hits of the day, the Record Archive carries a wide variety of music, including a huge selection of vintage vinyl records. They also carry a large selection of vintage clothing and other goodies.

The East Ave location has played host to numerous in-store apperances and in-store concerts, featuring groups like Moby, 10,000 Maniacs, Moxy Früvous, and others.

The Record Archive is a member of the Coalition Of Independent Music Stores, a group of music stores that aren't patsies of the Recording Industry Association of America.

Web: www.recordarchive.com

How to not shop at Record Archive:

1. Don't go on a Saturday Record Archive is never that cheap really. Especially not the used cds.
2. Don't enter any store, though Mt. Hope is the better of the two.
3. Don't walk up the funky stairs, that just leads to the overpriced used cds.
4. Don't buy any used cds. I have spent literally hours here, looking for some band I may have seen a flyer for in the gutter in 1987 or that was mentioned in an interview with a band I might have sort of liked and caught on MTV when i was 14. No avail.
5. Don't buy things in the middle of the store. The perimeter does house the good stuff, but the hip hop is about as good as you'd find in the gift shop of the Rochester Geriatric Community off of Westfall(? 15a certainly).
6 & 7. Don't go down the stairs. Really, don't.
8. After not listening to me (thank you, by the way), you find yourself amongst a whole slew of valuable and utterly worthless records. There are some old Beatles records, Ramones records, and other classics, but the only thing that I actually considered paying for was the $1.25 80's metal records, just to decorate my walls with the sleeves.
9. Ascend the stairs, probably having found not much that you'd want that much anyway, though it's possible I'd imagine, I just never have.
Smile to the cashiers (who always look at me like they've got a working knowledge of music the size of John Cusack in High Fidelity).
10. Leave. Check out posters. Go to sweet concert. This trip was not without its merit.

I've been quite disappointed with record stores since I've been attending RIT two years ago. If you're looking for the Top 40 hits, as well *a lot* more independent music, try Fantastic Records in Pittsford, NY, just follow Monroe Ave. east from the city past 12 Corners. It's across from the Chase Pitkin parking lot. If you're looking for even *further* underground music, check out Analog Shock. Arguably one of the best record stores I've been to (yes, I argue with myself), yet open at weird hours because I suspect the owner is the only cashier. It's not far off of Rt. 15 just between Brighton and Downtown Rochester. Also, Java's downtown (parking at the garage on East Ave is free after like 8pm or so) has a lot of decent jazz and other bands on various nights, as it's next to one of the best music schools in the Eastern US, if you're looking for performances. Across the street is Milestones which has live music every night, and some little jazz cafe. The Bug Jar on Monroe Ave just south of downtown also constantly has live shows, and even open mic nights.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.