Rash (?), v. t. [For arace]

1.

To pull off or pluck violently.

[Obs.]

2.

To slash; to hack; to slice.

[Obs.]

Rushing of helms and riving plates asunder. Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rash, n. [OF. rashe an eruption, scurf, F. rache; fr. (assumed) LL. rasicare to scratch, fr. L. radere, rasum, to scrape, scratch, shave. See Rase, and cf. Rascal.] Med.

A fine eruption or efflorescence on the body, with little or no elevation.

Canker rash. See in the Vocabulary. -- Nettle rash. See Urticaria. -- Rose rash. See Roseola. -- Tooth rash. See Red-gum.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rash, n. [Cf. F. ras short-nap cloth, It. & Sp. raso satin (cf. Rase); or cf. It. rascia serge, G. rasch, probably fr. Arras in France (cf. Arras).]

An inferior kind of silk, or mixture of silk and worsted.

[Obs.]

Donne.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rash, a. [Compar. Rasher (?); superl. Rashest.] [Probably of Scand. origin; cf. Dan. & Sw. rask quick, brisk, rash, Icel. roskr vigorous, brave, akin to D. & G. rasch quick, of uncertain origin.]

1.

Sudden in action; quick; hasty.

[Obs.] "Strong as aconitum or rash gunpowder."

Shak.

2.

Requiring sudden action; pressing; urgent.

[Obs.]

I scarce have leisure to salute you, My matter is so rash. Shak.

3.

Esp., overhasty in counsel or action; precipitate; resolving or entering on a project or measure without due deliberation and caution; opposed to prudent; said of persons; as, a rash statesman or commander.

4.

Uttered or undertaken with too much haste or too little reflection; as, rash words; rash measures.

5.

So dry as to fall out of the ear with handling, as corn.

[Prov. Eng.]

Syn. -- Precipitate; headlong; headstrong; foolhardy; hasty; indiscreet; heedless; thoughtless; incautious; careless; inconsiderate; unwary. -- Rash, Adventurous, Foolhardy. A man is adventurous who incurs risk or hazard from a love of the arduous and the bold. A man is rash who does it from the mere impulse of his feelings, without counting the cost. A man is foolhardy who throws himself into danger in disregard or defiance of the consequences.

Was never known a more adventurous knight. Dryden.

Her rush hand in evil hour Forth reaching to the fruit, she plucked, she eat. Milton.

If any yet to be foolhardy To expose themselves to vain jeopardy; If they come wounded off, and lame, No honors got by such a maim. Hudibras.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rash (?), v. t.

To prepare with haste.

[Obs.]

Foxe.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.