An adventure module for the original Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, published by TSR inc.

B7 Rahasia
by Tracy & Laura Hickman, English version published in 1983 (copyrights on this copy seem to say 1984). Originally published as D&D compatible adventure in Night Ventures series by Daystar Publications in 1979, credited to Laura Hickman; TSR publications credit both Tracy and Laura. TSR published it first as RPGA modules RPGA1 Rahasia and RPGA2 Black Opal Eye, later as B7 Rahasia. The original versions are pretty hard to find, but B7 version was printed in large numbers.

Plot synopsis: Once upon time, the Temple of Gray Mountain was a nice quiet place where many elves, called the Siswa order, spent time meditating and studying. Then, the bad, bad human cleric, known as "the Rahib", arrived there and made things a bit more evil - and found a dark secret from there. Now, a couple of particularly pretty elf-ladies had disappeared from the nearby village (after refusing to come there willingly, of course), and Rahasia, the last of those Rahib wanted to take to the temple, is afraid that her time comes soon. And this is where the bold Adventurers step in! Time to protect Rahasia, find the lost elf-maids, save the lost monks from evil, find out what secrets the temple holds and give a "you're a very, very naughty boy" sermon to Rahib. But, of course, it isn't as straightforward as this, and definitely won't even end once Rahib is defeated...

My comments: Rahasia was one of the D&D adventure modules that was translated to Finnish (the Finnish version was published in 1988 by Protocol Productions, the people who did the translations for all D&D things). The translation was decent enough, even when a lot of things could have used better wording, but that was due to the stupidities in the translations of the game. The folks at Protocol promised that only good adventures get translated. Is this good?

It is great.

While there are monsters, it's definitely a module that stresses problem solving and role-playing. Most NPCs are good, just charmed to do bad things, so players are definitely encouraged to find alternate ways of dealing with them. The whole thing is so complicated that without careful planning, our intrepid heroes will find themselves dead or otherwise severely punctured. (Clearly a shock for many low-level D&D players... I DMed this module once, we played between half and three quarters of this module, and the beginning part became quickly boring for the players - not enough monsters to kill. But the problem solving got a lot more interesting as soon as they wandered into the garbage teleporter...)

Lots of very interesting details, nice puzzles (A maze based on quality of wine? Seeing UFOs while drunk? Clearly made before TSR's decisions...), loooong written background stories, lots and lots and lots of places to discover, lots of devilish traps... Oh, and the oriental grace! The whole place has some near-eastern touch - it adds greatly to the feel of mysticism there. The temple is obviously a place where things like this happen. And the whole thing is crowned with a lot of high-quality artwork (but who cares, DM sees that first so that doesn't count *g*).

Clearly a very well-made adventure.

One bad thing, of course, was the name - some Finnish reviewers felt that the name of the module "rings the wrong bell". (Tip for those who don't know our complicated language: raha = money, siat = pigs. =)

...

(Revision info from various pages at wizards.com and also <http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/ModPages/B7.html>.)

This module is apparently available from Wizards of the Coast as a PDF download (not for free, though).


As expected, Rahasia has also been rewritten for Neverwinter Nights by 69MEH69, bringing it to AD&D world... I played almost through it on one sitting, and I thought it worked just fine, even when (again) dialogue choices were a little bit off the mark.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.