UK Radio Authority parlance for a Restricted Service Licence.

An RSL is a temporary licence for a station to go on the air, typically for 28 days, on a low-power transmitter, and no more than once in a six month period. They are normally used for community groups, student radio stations, or commercial radio stations trialling services. They may also run alongside large events, such as music festivals or sports tournaments.

Long term RSLs can also be granted, for example some football clubs will broadcast match commentary around their ground. Some hospital radio stations broadcast on induction loop systems and require such a licence. Low Power FM and Low Power AM also fall under this kind of licence.

More information can be obtained from The Radio Authority at http://www.radioauthority.org.uk/rsl/

Returned & Services League of Australia

From http://www.rsl.org.au/
The RSL evolved as a direct result of the camaraderie, concern and mateship shown by the "Diggers" for the welfare of their mates during and after the 1914 - 1918 War. That ethos of compassion and service remains today the motivating influence of the League.

Quite possibly the quintessensial Australian Institution of cheap piss and elderly war veterans. Aussies drink more schooners of beer at an RSL than the number of times a horny male elephant will decide to copulate in a lifetime.

The RSL is an organization, which makes more profit from poker machines than alchohol sales, which benefits the community through the vast amounts of tax dollars extracted from the monthly revenue. Oh, but the government wants more, they want to introduce a 10% poker machine tax which will result in the smaller RSL clubs shutting down.

"OH MY GOD! NOW WHERE WILL I DRINK CHEAP BEER?"

The answer is simple. Join a golf club, a bowling club or better still, a sailing club. RSL's are fine and dandy, they just don't have the recreational facilities of other specialty clubs, although some RSL's have snooker tables members can play for free. Becoming a member is cheap, it usually costs about $12.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.