the word which replaced "idle", as the label for a certain status light on an ancient IBM tape drive. Apparently customers weren't happy about their expensive equipment sitting "idle" all the time; on the other hand, for it to be constantly "ready" was most edifying....

Ripe for robbery. "I just put the squint (caught a glimpse) on the boodle (money). That mark (victim) is loaded (has plenty of cash) and ready."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Read"y (?), a. [Compar. Readier (?); superl. Readiest.] [AS. r&aemac;de; akin to D. gereed, bereid, G. bereit, Goth. gar�xa0;ids fixed, arranged, and possibly to E. ride, as meaning originally, prepared for riding. Cf. Array, 1st Curry.]

1.

Prepared for what one is about to do or experience; equipped or supplied with what is needed for some act or event; prepared for immediate movement or action; as, the troops are ready to march; ready for the journey.

"When she redy was."

Chaucer.

2.

Fitted or arranged for immediate use; causing no delay for lack of being prepared or furnished.

"Dinner was ready."

Fielding.

My oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. Matt. xxii. 4.

3.

Prepared in mind or disposition; not reluctant; willing; free; inclined; disposed.

I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem, for the name of the Lord Jesus. Acts xxi. 13.

If need be, I am ready to forego And quit. Milton.

4.

Not slow or hesitating; quick in action or perception of any kind; dexterous; prompt; easy; expert; as, a ready apprehension; ready wit; a ready writer or workman.

"Ready in devising expedients."

Macaulay.

Gurth, whose temper was ready, through surly. Sir W. Scott.

5.

Offering itself at once; at hand; opportune; convenient; near; easy.

"The readiest way."

Milton.

A sapling pine he wrenched from out the ground, The readiest weapon that his fury found. Dryden.

6.

On the point; about; on the brink; near; -- with a following infinitive.

My heart is ready to crack. Shak.

7. Mil.

A word of command, or a position, in the manual of arms, at which the piece is cocked and held in position to execute promptly the next command, which is, aim.

All ready, ready in every particular; wholly equipped or prepared. "[I] am all redy at your hest." Chaucer. -- Ready money, means of immediate payment; cash. "'Tis all the ready money fate can give." Cowley. -- Ready reckoner, a book of tables for facilitating computations, as of interest, prices, etc. -- To make ready, to make preparation; to get in readiness.

Syn. -- Prompt; expeditious; speedy; unhesitating; dexterous; apt; skilful; handy; expert; facile; easy; opportune; fitted; prepared; disposed; willing; free; cheerful. See Prompt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Read"y (?), adv.

In a state of preparation for immediate action; so as to need no delay.

We ourselves will go ready armed. Num. xxxii. 17.

 

© Webster 1913.


Read"y, n.

Ready money; cash; -- commonly with the; as, he was supplied with the ready.

[Slang]

Lord Strut was not flush in ready, either to go to law, or to clear old debts. Arbuthnot.

 

© Webster 1913.


Read"y, v. t.

To dispose in order.

[Obs.]

Heywood.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.