The X-files

Quagmire
Episode: 3X22
First aired:5/3/96
Written by: Kim Newton
Directed by: Kim Manners

This episode marks the demise of Queequeg, the beloved dog. Please, a moment of silence....

Thank you.

Mulder and Scully investigate attacks near and in a lake. Mulder claims that the attacks are from Big Blue, a Nessie-like water monster.

Scully's dog, Queequeg, is unfortunatly eaten by this animal.

Mulder and Scully go out on a boat to search for this creature. Their boat is attacked and sunk and the are left stranded in the middle of the night on a small rock island.

As daylight approaches they are "rescued" by a man only to find that they are barely 10 ft away from the shore.

The next day Mulder is attacked by the creature and shoots it to find that it is an alligator.
As they leave the lake, we see a Nessie-like creature emerge from the water...and neither Mulder nor Scully, nor anyone else, saw it.

Important Quotes:
Scully -- "We eat fish and fish eat us."
Mulder -- "Are fish also known for eating half and saving half for later?"

Scull -- "Nature's calling (talking about Queequeg in the car), I think we should pull over soon."
Mulder -- "Did you really have to bring that thing?"
Scully -- "You wake me up on a Saturday morning, tell me to be ready in five minutes, my mother's out of town, all of the dog sitters are booked and you know how I feel about kennels. So, unless you want to lose your security deposit on the car, I suggest you pull over."

Scully -- "Y'know, his fly's undone."
Mulder -- "Are you insinuating something?"

Scully -- "Could you please repeat the last part again? I kinda faded out."
Mulder -- "Which... which part?"
Scully -- "After you said I'm sorry?"

Scully -- "Poor Queequeg."
Mulder -- "Why did you name your dog Queequeg?"
Scully -- "It was the name of the harpoonist in Moby Dick. My father used to read to me from Moby Dick when I was a little girl, I called him Ahab and he called me Starbuck. So I named my dog Queequeg. It's funny, I just realized something."
Mulder -- "It's a bizarre name for a dog, huh?"
Scully -- "No, how much you're like Ahab. You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or mysteries, everything takes on a warped significance to fit your megalomaniacal cosmology."
Mulder -- "Scully, are you coming on to me?"

Scully -- "Well, you slew the big white whale, Ahab."
Mulder -- "Yeah, but I still don't have that pegleg."


Back to The X-files: Season 3
Note: This write up is so short because I wrote it before I started on my quest to node all episodes of The X-files so, in short, I'm lazy.

Quag"mire` (?), n. [Quake + mire.]

Soft, wet, miry land, which shakes or yields under the feet.

"A spot surrounded by quagmires, which rendered it difficult of access."

Palfrey.

Syn. -- Morass; marsh; bog; swamp; fen; slough.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.