Codename for a media processor that will be used in a lot of next generation DVD players. Project X is the work of VM Labs, a company that was started by engineers from Atari. Current estimates place launch date at Spring '99. As well as decoding MPEG video from the disk, it is supposed to be able to play computer games, console-style. Yak, aka Jeff Minter, is closely linked to the Project.

Project X was a game by Team 17 released on the Amiga. It was a code name, but like many code names it becomes what people call it and later the proper name.

It was an difficult side-ways shoot-em-up with gorgeous graphics but rather average game play noteworthy only for being exceptionally difficult. Many times enemies were so quick it was more a point of remembering the attack patterns than any natural skill (NB. This doesn't mean I'm a crap payer, I take offense to that good sir. I'll have you know I completed SWIV on my tenth go. At some points in Project X, however, it was nigh on impossible to avoid enemies - kamakazi bastards!).

The end of each level was rewarded with a high-speed horizontal flight through tiny tunnels in an "avoid the walls or die" fashion - similar to that old speccy game, Ralox.

This sci-fi, thriller released in 1987 was directed by Jonathan Kaplan. It was written by Lawrence Lasker and Stanley Weiser. The cast includes Matthew Broderick, Helen Hunt, Johnny Ray McGhee, Johnathan Stark, Robin Gammell, Stephen Lang, Virgil The Chimp, and others.

Following Orders isn't the only Way to become a Hero...

Jimmy Garrett (Matthew Broderick) is fairly new in the military and is given the simple task of watching after some chimpanzees that are already in cages. The chimps are being used in a secret project, "Project X". We find out the project is trying to find out how long a chimp can fly a plane in a simulated situation, through the use of flight simulators. The situation is a lethal dose of radiation. The purpose of the research is to find out if needed could a human pilot still deliver his payload after nearby nuclear blast. Jimmy begins to take a liking to one chimp and after learning what it is the final fate of this animals decides he must try to save them. With the help of Teri (Helen Hunt) they go to work.

Predictable and cheesy, but an ok movie. It does have a couple worth while messages, "cruelty to animals is bad" and "don't blindly follow orders." It is probably worth it just to see chimps fly flight simulators. I really don't think it has much re-watch value.


There is also two other movies by this same name one is from 1968 and the other from 1949, but I have not seen either of these.

Short for Project Xylophone from Atlas Shrugged. Project X was funded by the State Science Institute to create the Thompson Harmonizer, which used the nature of cosmic rays and the spatial transmission of energy to create the ultimate weapon of mass destruction.

A demonstration of the machine's capabilities effectively neutralized a farmhouse and some nearby goats from a distance of 2 miles away with a single pulse of sound ray. Details on how the machine works are not mentioned in the book but I assume it uses the vibrations caused by the sound rays it emits to rip apart its targets.

Another demonstration of of the weapon's potential for mass destruction was the missfire of the weapon that resulted in the disintegration of the building housing the weapon and everything within a radius of a hundred miles. Personally, i prefer an old fashion nuke with it's devastating ecological effects.
Project X is a relatively new Magic: The Gathering deck. It was developed by Geoffrey Siron and Vincent Lemoine for the Ninth Edition/Ravnica/Time Spiral type II environment and has been a force to be reckoned with since its creation, taking second place at the 2006 Grand Prix Kyoto, making multiple top eights in 2007 US Regional tournaments, and even making a showing at the 2006 Worlds tournament.

The deck is based around the combo of two cards: Saffi Eriksdotter and Crypt Champion. Saffi is a creature with the ability:
Sacrifice Saffi Eriksdotter: When target creature is put into your graveyard from play this turn, return that card to play.
Crypt Champion is a creature with the abilities:
When Crypt Champion comes into play, each player puts a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from his or her graveyard into play.
When Crypt Champion comes into play, sacrifice it unless {R} was spent to play it.
The combo can be difficult to understand without a fairly intimate knowledge of the rules of Magic. To prepare the combo, the player must either have Saffi Eriksdotter in play or in his graveyard. (For this example, we will assume that she is in play.) He then plays Crypt Champion without paying {R}, causing both abilities both trigger. Since the Project X player is the active player and both abilities trigger simultaneously, he may choose the order in which they are placed on the stack. The second ability is placed on the stack first, which will cause it to be the last to resolve. Then, the first ability is placed on the stack. Before he allows either ability to resolve, he sacrifices Saffi Eriksdotter to put her ability onto the top of the stack, targeting Crypt Champion. This ability is then allowed to resolve, setting up a delayed trigger for when Crypt Champion goes to the graveyard. Then, Crypt Champion's first ability resolves, and the Project X player uses it to return Saffi Eriksdotter from his graveyard to play. After this, the Crypt Champion's second ability resolves, and he is sacrificed. When this happens, Saffi's delayed trigger goes onto the stack, and when it resolves, it returns the Crypt Champion to play. Because {R} was not spent to play it, both of its abilities trigger once again, allowing the player to repeat the loop an arbitrarily large number of times.

Now, the astute observer will note that this combo, in and of itself, does nothing. It must be combined with another card for any real effect. There are three main options for the Project X player here. The first is Soul Warden/Essence Warden. (These are essentially the same card, with the Soul Warden being white and the Essence Warden being green). For the low cost of one mana, you can have a creature with the ability:
Whenever another creature comes into play, you gain 1 life.
With all of these Saffis and Champions popping into and out of play, you can attain an essentially infinite amount of life, although the rules do confine you to the realm of definite integers. However, the Project X player may still lose if his opponent is able to stretch the game out long enough. Project X uses a large number of tutors, and is therefore more susceptible than many decks to running out of cards, causing a game loss. This is why most Project X decks also rely on Teysa, Orzhov Scion, a lovely lady with the abilities:
Sacrifice three white creatures: Remove target creature from the game.
Whenever another black creature you control is put into a graveyard from play, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into play.

Each time a Crypt Champion dies, a 1/1 white Spirit creature token gets its wings, resulting in a very, very large army of spirits, all waiting to attack your opponent next turn for a game-winning amount of damage. Unfortunately, because these Spirits have summoning sickness and cannot attack the turn they come into play, this strategy is vulnerable to any mass creature kill, including, but not limited to Damnation, Wrath of God, Sulfur Elemental, and even Orzhov Pontiff. Luckily, the release of the set Future Sight gave Project X another tool to work with, and this tool is a little sorcery called Bitter Ordeal, which reads:
Search target player's library for a card and remove that card from the game. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Gravestorm (When you play this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

This allows the Project X player to remove his opponent's entire deck from the game, causing him to lose the next time he attempts to draw. This method is not susceptible to mass creature kill or stalling. In fact, the only real method of preventing death by Ordeal would be an Ivory Mask, preventing the Project X player from targeting his opponent with the spell. Ivory Mask isn't quite as effective at repelling an opponent with infinite creatures and infinite life, though, and the most recent Project X decks can often be seen sporting all three of these win conditions.

The popularity of Project X stems not only from the strength and flexibility of the combo, but from the number of powerful tutors available to this deck as well. Chord of Calling can be used to call any creature from your deck directly into play. Congregation at Dawn lets you search for THREE creatures and put them on top of your deck. The recent addition of Glittering Wish from Future Sight may be the most powerful tutor of all. It can search for any multi-colored card from your sideboard and bring it to your hand. This could be either Saffi Eriksdotter or Teysa, Orzhov Scion, who are both integral parts of the combo. It could be a powerful beater such as Loxodon Hierarch or Teneb, the Harvester. It could be a control card to slow your opponent down, like Glare of Subdual or Debtor's Knell. The options are nearly limitless.

The classification of Project X isn't exactly simple. It is, at its heart, a combo deck. However, nearly all Project X variants include Loxodon Hierarch (a powerful, efficient creature which is widely regarded as being one of, if not the best beater in the current type II metagame), and many variants also include one or two other large, aggressive creatures. This allows Project X to play out as if it were an aggro deck, winning through combat instead of the explosive synergy for which the deck is most widely known. Other variations on the Project X archtype, including the subdeck known as the Glare Wish Project, use elements of control to lock the opponent down, generally using the enchantment Glare of Subdual to tap their opponent's creatures while searching out silver bullets and combo pieces using the tutor card Glittering Wish. All of these options allow Project X to change its strategy mid-game and still come out victorious. It is one of the only decks to successfully combine the combo, aggro, and control strategies into one package.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.