Preacher is a comic series created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. Preacher follows the exploits of Reverend Jesse Custer on his mission to find God.

Jesse was not a normal Texas small town preacher, his childhood had been filled with pain. One day he simply got fed up, and put small town secrets out in the open in the town's bar. The next day, in church, the whole town showed up to see what he would say for himself. That's when Genesis arrived. Genesis was a creature not full angel or demon. A creature that posessed an amount of power that rivaled God's. It had escaped from its prison in Heaven. It entered Jesse's body and destroyed the entire church's flock, except for Jesse.

Slowly, Jesse realizes that whatever happened has granted him the Voice of God. When he wishes, he may use the Voice to make whoever he speaks to obey him. If he says, "Stop," that person stops.

Around the same time, Jesse's ex-girlfriend, Tulip, is running away from a failed hit and runs into Cassidy. Tulip is not a woman to be messed with, and can hold herself well in fights, as well as being an excellent markswoman. Cassidy isn't a normal Irish bloke. Cassidy is a vampire, but not your normal vampire. His life isn't in danger over anything except sunlight, and he's been around for nearly a century.

Tulip and Cassidy meet up with Jesse in due time, and group up, more for amusement than anything else at first. In time, Jesse discovers that God left Heaven around Genesis's birth, and Jesse believes that God should answer for leaving. So his mission becomes a search for God, which is as hard as one would think.

That's not even including the fact that the Saint of Killers is after Genesis's life, Starr, a high official of the religious conspiracy group The Grail, and Jesse's past all come to haunt this group.

Preacher is a wonderful comic book series, compiled in nine graphic novels. The series has good character development(hell, I was beginning to get interested in hearing all of Jesse's father's history), humour, and interesting(if not always pleasing to the stomach) fights. Some people could read it as a great action comic book, but it can be so much more.

Preacher Graphic Novels:
  1. Gone to Texas
  2. Until the End of the World
  3. Proud Americans
  4. Ancient History
  5. Dixie Fried
  6. War in the Sun
  7. Salvation
  8. All Hell's A-coming
  9. Alamo

Preach"er (?), n. [Cf. OF. preeschierre, prescheur, F. precheur, L. praedicator.]

1.

One who preaches; one who discourses publicly on religious subjects.

How shall they hear without a preacher? Rom. x. 14.

2.

One who inculcates anything with earnestness.

No preacher is listened to but Time. Swift.

Preacher bird Zool., a toucan.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.