Yummmmmm. This is a poundcake that has been made by six generations (at least) in our family. It tastes the same, everytime.



You will need: mixing bowls, a bundt pan or other round, deep cake pan with a large hole in the middle, measuring cups & spoons, extra butter and flour, a mixer, and these ingredients:

1 tablespoon of vanilla
2 boxes (eight sticks) of butter
3 and 1/2 cups of sugar
4 cups of flour (sifted, if possible)
10 eggs
pinch of salt


First, cream the butter and sugar (that means you mix it up together until its all smooth and yummy looking).

Next, add the eggs, mixing them in one at a time.

Stir in the vanilla and the pinch of salt.

Then, fold in the flour. "Folding" means adding a little bit at a time and not necessarily stirring it, but taking a big scoop from the bottom and sort of flipping it over the top portion in the bowl and blending it in that way.


Grease the cake pan with butter and then put a light coat of flour all over the greased part, to keep the cake from sticking to the pan. You can use a commercial non-stick spray, but it might change the taste. You are on your own with this part, I get in trouble if I deviate from the family recipe.

Bake in a cold oven at 350 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours.
By the way, "bake in a cold oven" just means you don't turn the oven on until you put the cake in it. This is done to get the best top crust you can.

With a pound cake, preheating is akin to murder.

After 1 and 1/2 hours, take your cake out and let it cool for AT LEAST 1 HOUR. Do not think you are special and get to have a hot piece...it may not come out of the pan in one piece, and then where would you be? In a messy kitchen without a poundcake to show for it! Besides, poundcake tastes better when it has had time to age anyway. I like it best two days old.

When it's time, put a dinner plate over the top of the cake and flip the pan over. Use a knife handle to bang on the bottom a few times. Return it the pan to its natural state and use a long-handled knife to loosen the edges, then do the plate thing again and flip the pan over again and the cake should come out on the plate. Now get another plate to put the cake rightside up.

Cut a few thin slices and think of my many-greats grand mother as you enjoy one of my family treasures!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.