Movement is important of course. The way a woman slides in out of chairs, her gait and the way her arms stretch out car windows. I mean, she has to stretch her arm out of cars to grasp all that air racing by, it's a must.

Comfort is also a good thing. Not the way that clothes fit her, but the way she fits into clothes. Too loose and she seems to be hiding: seclusive. Too tight and she's constricted: bound. She needs to be comfortable in a way that even her face shows it. Flowing like water, but not too fast. Curves that are not hidden and not forced.

Posture, well posture is certainly underrated. The placement of her knees in the front seat of a sports car-relaxed but angled. Her arms wrapped around her chest while waiting for a bus. Her face skyward, waiting for snow. Patient and self assured. Feet drawn up under her thighs on a couch, scrunched up with hot chocolate and a book of short stories.

A woman with the right kind of posture does not wait for you in bed on her back. She is eager-lying on her chest with chin in her hands and ankles crossed above her legs. Her head will be tilted to one side with a Sleepover girl grin on her face. And diamonds in her eyes. For you.

Pos"ture (?; 135), n. [F., fr. L. positura, fr. ponere, positum, to place. See Position.]

1.

The position of the body; the situation or disposition of the several parts of the body with respect to each other, or for a particular purpose; especially Fine Arts, the position of a figure with regard to the several principal members by which action is expressed; attitude.

Atalanta, the posture of whose limbs was so lively expressed . . . one would have sworn the very picture had run. Sir P. Sidney.

In most strange postures We have seen him set himself. Shak.

The posture of a poetic figure is a description of his heroes in the performance of such or such an action. Dryden.

2.

Place; position; situation.

[Obs.]

Milton.

His [man's] noblest posture and station in this world. Sir M. Hale.

3.

State or condition, whether of external circumstances, or of internal feeling and will; disposition; mood; as, a posture of defense; the posture of affairs.

The several postures of his devout soul. Atterbury.

Syn. -- Attitude; position. See Attitude.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pos"ture (?; 135), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Postured (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Posturing.]

To place in a particular position or attitude; to dispose the parts of, with reference to a particular purpose; as, to posture one's self; to posture a model.

Howell.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pos"ture, v. i.

1.

To assume a particular posture or attitude; to contort the body into artificial attitudes, as an acrobat or contortionist; also, to pose.

2.

Fig.: To assume a character; as, to posture as a saint.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.