The ASTM definition for Portland Cement:

A product obtained by finely pulverizing clinker by calcining to incipient fusion an intimate and properly proportioned mixture of argillaceous and calcareous materials, with no additions subsequent to calcination except water and calcined or uncalcined gypsum.

There are five types of Portland cement:

  • I Normal


  • II Modified (sets slower, has some sulfate resistance)


  • III High Early Strength


  • IV Low Heat of Hydration (sets slowly, usually used for dams or other large concrete structures)


  • V High Sulfate Resistance


Type I cement is the most commonly used type of cement for making concrete.

Type II cement is used most often where concrete will be exposed to high levels of sulfates, such as waterways, depending on local conditions.

Type III cement is used when strength of the concrete must be developed quickly, for instance to bear the loads of further construction.

Type IV cement was developed early in the 20th century for building dams. When concrete sets, it lets off heat from the chemical reaction. This can be a problem when placing large amounts of concrete at one time. For instance, if the concrete for Hoover Dam had been placed all at one time, it still would not have returned to ambient temperature. Type IV cement is one solution to this problem.

Type V cement is used where the concrete will be exposed to very high levels of sulfates. Kind of a beefed up version of Type II cement.

Port"land ce*ment" (?).

A cement having the color of the Portland stone of England, made by calcining an artificial mixture of carbonate of lime and clay, or sometimes certain natural limestones or chalky clays. It contains a large proportion of clay, and hardens under water.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.