A role playing game developed by Black-Isle, the same bunch of folks responsible for Baldur's Gate and the soon to be released Icewind Dale. Based on the Planescape franchise from TSR. Much like all of the games previously mentioned, Torment uses the Infinity Engine developed by BioWare.

In this game you take on the role of The Nameless One, who is a dead guy. No, he really is dead. You wake up on a table in a giant mortuary, and you are dead, and someone has carved a message into your back. The game has a really vivid storyline and dialoge between characters. For Example, when examining an enemy skeleton, instead of saying "this is a skeleton", the enemy would be described as "a wretched looking skeleton that reeks of decaying flesh. Straps of leather are fastened and bolted into it's bones to mimmic the function of tendons and muscles."

You also get to meet a unique group of beings in your group of characters. My favorite is Morte, a disembodied wise-cracking skull, that attacks enemies by bitting them.

I have not yet finnished this game, but my first impressions are really good. Highly reccomemded if you like AD&D/fantasy based games.

Other Planescape Torment Goodies


Characters
The Nameless One
Morte
Annah
Dak'kon
Ignus
Fall-From-Grace
Nordom
Vhailor

Funny Stuff
Holy Flamin Frost-Brand etc...
Rubikon Dungeon Construction Project

"Why don't you go and read a few novels instead? (Moby Dick would be a nice start.)" My gamer friends like to ridicule my fondness for PS:T. Yet, here I go, spending way too much time on countless lines of dialogue, butchering cranium rats and strolling through shadowy dungeons.
Shadows, shadows... What I like about PS:T, and what keeps me playing, is that it's different. A lot different. This is no sweet fairytale fantasy world, this is real agony. People suffer here. The visuals only hint at the gore that awaits the player in the long dialogues.
Sigil, the city of doors, is full of filth - and even the knights in shining armor appear somehow tainted. What is good - what is evil? Hard to tell in PS:T.
PS:T is unconventional in many ways: You start with two characters only, and build a party from people you find in the streets. Your alignment changes with your actions and words in the game. You fall in love with party members. You cannot die - you merely wake up someplace else and feel awful.
My only real complaint with PS:T is the long and frequent load times. You better enjoy this with lots of RAM and a huge full install on your hard disk.
Other than that - highly recommended.

Torment is a wild RPG set in the PlaneScape D&D universe. I don't know a particularly great deal about the PlaneScape universe -- just what I've learned from Torment -- but I do know that it's very cool, very unique. Back to Torment, though. The game opens with you on a slab in a building you learn is called the Mortuary. Yes, you were just dead a few minutes ago. Your main character is, in fact, nigh-immortal. That is to say, you can die, but you won't stay dead. Apparently, there are a few ways to totally destroy yourself (being burned to ashes or devoured, for example), but in the general course of the game you can die all you like. In fact, you have to on several occasions. A unique gameplay element if there ever was one.

The other members of your party are hardly any more normal than your avatar. The first one you meet/recruit (fresh off the slab, in fact) is Morte, a floating, talking skull. As is apparently the duty of talking computer-game skulls, his role is largely to supply comic relief--it's hard to keep from calling him Murray sometimes. Of course, unlike Murray, Morte is a very useful ally. He's a good fighter, and fairly knowledgeable. Another character you'll find is Annah, a girl on the streets of Sigil (an enormous, ring-shaped city that serves as the doorway to an infinitude of dimensions...). Annah is a firey-tempered young woman, who happens to have a tail. This is because she's part fiend, making her what's known in the PlaneScape universe as a "tiefling." She's a fun, high-spirited character--one of my favorites. Lessee... I guess I really shouldn't go on at too much length here (discovery is part of the fun, after all), but I must mention the celibate succubus. If there has ever been a more paradoxical character idea....

The game mechanics themselves are pretty familiar, as they are based on (by which I mean "are exactly the same as") AD&D rules. Combat is sort of real-time (you can pause to issue orders), and the interface is pretty decent. You click on baddies to order default physical attacks, or you can right-click to bring up a menu of spells and special abilities your characters can perform.

I guess the thing about Torment that most captures my imagination and interest is the sense of scope. As you meet characters and interact with the various denizens of Torment, you get a picture, piece by piece, of a vast, fantastic realm of infinite possibilites. Even your own character has many unexplored facets and histories.... There's just so much to explore.

Of course, like all RPGs and graphic adventures, there are parts that are annoying. Some side quests are a little dodgy (by which I mean hard to complete successfully becuase of odd scripting, not their conceptual basis), and of course there are the occasional inevitable "stuck for a long time and get bored" periods. I suppose with such a huge story (the game is 4 CDs long--not a fantastic measure of length, I know, but that should still give you some idea of what I'm talking about), it's to be expected that some bits would be rough around the edges, but it's not to be totally overlooked.

Well, that's my brief tour of Torment. I recommend it pretty much unreservedly to any RPG fan.

While waiting for the game to load, why not read a book? No, not Moby Dick (sheesh, Ahab only went after a piddling whale! Have some ambition man! He should try a Tanar'ri or a Tarrasque, he'd need more than a fake leg after a meeting with one of them!). Instead read a book that'll prime you with extra knowledge of the Planescape multiverse.

For the more philosophical cutters try Pages of Pain by Troy Denning, so metaphysical it's liable to cause you to ascend to a higher plane of existance, or just send you barmy. For a more fast paced but still thought provoking read try The Blood Wars Trilogy by J. Robert King which includes a breath-taking invasion of Sigil by a vast force from the Abyss. In addition a novel version of the Torment plotline has been released.

For those new to the Planescape mileu some of the groups, technical terms and slang may seem wierd (as may the rest of the game come to think of it...). More information is available on Factions, The Cant (slang) and the Planes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.