An ill-fated CD-based gaming machine developed by Apple, which ran the Pippin OS, a scaled down version of the Mac OS, allowing the Pippin to run Macintosh games, and vice-versa. Apple didn't actually manufacture the system, rather it liscenced the specs and the operating system, which was required for each game disc.

Some specs:

  • 66 MHz 603 PowerPC RISC chip
  • 4X CD-ROM drive
  • 6MB total RAM (4MB available to apps)
  • control pad with track-ball
  • 2 ADB ports
  • serial port
  • Video out to 640x480 VGA at millions of colors, NTSC, PAL, S-Video
Some models also included a 28.8K modem and the Mosaic web browser for Internet access.

The nickname of Peregrin Took, one of the hobbits who sets out with Frodo Baggins on his quest in J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Lord of the Rings. Pippin is the youngest of the four, and the most adventurous, if also the most foolish. He befriends Fangorn the Ent, is kidnapped by Orcs and fights valiantly against the shadow.

A play about a prince who always wishes for something to be passionate about. He was a scholar, but then went home. He was a soldier but didn't like blood and guts. He plotted and killed his father in order to become king (he was tricked by his stepmother and brother). He was a beggar. Then he became a farmer and lived with a widow. But he wanted a perfect moment, maybe glory. The entire play he is guided by a singing and dancing spirit, probably representing his ambition.

At the end of the play, the spirit and other spirits try to get Pippin to step in a box and disappear in a flash. He rejects them for the widow and the unglorious life. The message seemed to be "Stay put, be happy with what you have." Still an entertaining play, especially the spirit of ambition.

The play is set in the 9th century and uses the medieval legend of Charlemagne's son, Pippin (also spelled Pepin), heir apparent to the Holy Roman Empire as its basis.

Producer: Stuart Ostrow
Music & Lyrics: Stephen Schwartz
Director & Choreographer: Bob Fosse
Book: Roger O. Hirson (Bob Fosse uncredited)
First opening (New York): Imperial Theatre, October 23, 1972

Pip"pin (?), n. [Probably fr. OE. pippin a seed, as being raised from the seed. See Pip a seed.] Bot. (a)

An apple from a tree raised from the seed and not grafted; a seedling apple.

(b)

A name given to apples of several different kinds, as Newtown pippin, summer pippin, fall pippin, golden pippin.

We will eat a last year's pippin. Shak.

Normandy pippins, sun-dried apples for winter use.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.