IUPAC name: Piperidine
Synonyms: Azacyclohexane, Cyclopentimine, Cypentil, Hexahydropyridine, Hexazane, Pentamethseneimine
Molecular Formula: C5H11N
Structural Formula:


                    C -- C
                   /      \
                  C       :N - H
                   \      /
                    C -- C
                   
                  Piperidine

Molecular Mass: 85.2
CAS number: 110-89-4
Melting point: -8 C
Boiling point: 106 C
Flash point: 4 C
Appearance: Clear oily liquid with a pungent peppary ammoniacal odour

Toxicology data:

MOUSEOral LD50:30mg kg-1
RABBITDermal LD50:320mg kg-1

Skin contact may cause severe irritation or burns. Contact with the eyes may lead to permanent damage.

Piperidine is derived from Piperine which is found in black pepper (Piper nigrum).

Piperidine is used to cleave DNA during Chemical Mismatch Cleavage (CMC) also known as Chemical Cleavage of Mismatch (CCM), Amplification Mismatch Detection (AMD) or Hydroxylamine Osmium tetroxide method (HOT).

In addition piperidine is a precursor to the production of phencyclidine better known as PCP and is subject to reporting in the US under the Controlled Substances Act although its possession and distribution are not subject to penalties, as is the case with the possession and distribution of PCP. Forms recording the sale of piperidine and the purchaser's name must be maintained for two years. Anyone who sells piperidine must report the sale. This reporting procedure allows DEA to monitor sales of piperidine and to investigate those sales recognised as suspicious by either DEA or the seller.

Piperidine is also used as the curing agent for epoxy resins, a catalyst for silicone esters, and in manufacture of pharmaceuticals, such as; anaesthetics and analagesics, wetting agents and germicides.


www.druglibrary.org
www.chem.ox.ac.uk
National Toxicology Program (ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov)

Pi*per"i*dine (?), n. Chem.

An oily liquid alkaloid, C5H11N, having a hot, peppery, ammoniacal odor. It is related to pyridine, and is obtained by the decomposition of piperine.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.