Aromatherapy

Pine oil can be extracted from variety of pines including the Scots Pine, and has a number of medicinal uses. It is usually extracted from the leaves and twigs and shoots by dry- or steam distillation, but may also be prepared as a tea by chopping the young shoots and steeping in very hot water.

The essential oil is a powerful antiseptic and has a stimulating effect on the circulatory system. Suitably diluted in a carrier oil it can be used as a rub for rheumatic aches and pains, or inhaled by adding a few drops to a bowl of hot water or to a hot bath. Care must be taken if adding neat oil to a bath as some people's skin is overly sensitive to it - dilute the pure oil in an oil based carrier or full cream milk first. The aroma is refreshing, resinous and stimulating.

Therapeutic uses:

  • bronchitis
  • sinusitis
  • coughs and colds
  • fever
  • sore throat
  • rheumatism
  • arthritis
  • nerve pain
  • tendency to infection

Caution: Use no more than 5g/day. Pine oil should not be used if the sufferer is asthmatic or has heart or kidney problems. It can irritate the skin and/or mucous membranes. Overdoses (greater than 50g) may be fatal and symptoms include nausea, vomiting, reddening of the face, salivation, sore throat, thirst, diarrhoea, intestinal spasms, shortness of breath, dizziness, staggering, twitching, urination difficulties and rash.

There have been no harmful effects reported in pregnancy.

Bach's Flower Remedy

2 drops added to water and sipped throughout the day is recommended for "the type of people who blame themselves and constantly apologize for anything that goes wrong, even that which is not their fault. The positive quality of this remedy is understanding others make mistakes too so not to reprimand oneself for everything."


Aromatherapy is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. If you have a health condition, consult your physician. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, consult your doctor before using any aromatherapy products. Do not take essential oils internally. Keep essential oils and all aromatherapy products out of the reach of children

Refs: http://my.webmd.com/
http://www.organix.net/organix/bachinfo.htm#PINE

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.