Piggly Wiggly is a Grocery Store chain, with locations in all of the southeastern U.S., and with locations as far north as Minnesota. Founded in 1916, in Memphis, Tennessee, it was the first self-service grocery store.

Their mascot is called Mr. Pig. The best way to describe him would be a trim Porky Pig in blue pants, a red-and-white vertical striped shirt, brown shoes, a white apron, and a funny little white hat like the cooks wear at Steak-N-Shake.

Piggly Wiggly is a pretty good grocery store, all told. They're a little bit on the pricey side, when compared to Publix, Bi-Lo, or Food Lion, but not too bad. They also give out Greenbax when you buy your groceries there, which are a good way of getting neato free stuff.

A friend told me the Piggly Wiggly would accept a check with a drawing of a pig on the recipient line, instead of the words "Piggly Wiggly". I tried it and it worked, no questions asked. I suppose an amateur cartoon drawing of a pig is never any sillier than the name "Piggly Wiggly".

The Piggly Wiggly is the only supermarket in the three-town area where I grew up in rural Tennessee, and everyone calls it "The Pig".

Hey I'm goin' to the Pig. Y'all need me to pick up anything?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.