The name "Pickapeppa Sauce" is something of a misnomer. With a name like that, you'd think it'd would be spicy, hotter'n Hades, but it's not. Regardless, that hasn't stopped it from becoming a mainstay in this chilehead's kitchen. Originating in 1921, Pickapeppa is... well, it's more like a Worcestershire sauce or (urp) A1 Sauce, but neither of these descriptions quite do it justice, or capture the flavour of this fantastic condiment

With a taste that resides somewhere between the Carribean and Cajun palates, Pickapeppa Sauce is made up of a myriad of ingredients; beyond the obvious tomatoes and peppers that make up a good portion of the sauce's base, it also contains slightly more exotic ingredients, such as raisins, mangoes, and tamarinds. Though somewhat reminiscent of a chutney, it is thick, and is sweet, but not cloyingly so. While most people generally use it in the preparation of dishes, or serve it as a condiment alongside them, it is a versatile sauce that can be used in other methods as well. A tablespoon of Pickapeppa is not unheard of when making Bloody Mary mix, and an entire bottle of the sauce is often served over cream cheese with crackers, as an appetizer.

Best used in its element, however, Pickapeppa is the ideal accompaniment in Jamaican-styled dishes; used alongside a good jerk seasoning and a hot sauce and/or scotch bonnet peppers, it is the "puzzle piece" to creating a truly "sweet and spicy" taste sensation.



Pickapeppa can be found online at: http://www.pickapeppa.com/.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.