Pec"to*ral (?), a. [L. pectoralis, fr. pectus, -oris the breast; cf. F. pectoral.]

1.

Of or pertaining to the breast, or chest; as, the pectoral muscles.

2.

Relating to, or good for, diseases of the chest or lungs; as, a pectoral remedy.

3. Zool.

Having the breast conspicuously colored; as, the pectoral sandpiper.

Pectoral arch, ∨ Pectoral girdle Anat., the two or more bony or cartilaginous pieces of the vertebrate skeleton to which the fore limbs are articulated; the shoulder girdle. In man it consists of two bones, the scapula and clavicle, on each side. -- Pectorial cross Eccl., a cross worn on the breast by bishops and abbots, and sometimes also by canons. -- Pectorial fins, ∨ Pectorials Zool., fins situated on the sides, behind the gills. See Illust. under Fin. -- Pectorial rail. Zool. See Land rail (b) under Land. -- Pectorial sandpiper Zool., the jacksnipe (b).

 

© Webster 1913.


Pec"to*ral (?), n. [L. pectorale a breastplate, neut. of pectorials.]

1.

A covering or protecting for the breast.

2. Eccl. (a)

A breastplate, esp. that worn by the Jewish high person.

(b)

A clasp or a cross worn on the breast.

3.

A medicine for diseases of the chest organs, especially the lungs.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.