1 Cup Raw Peanuts
1 Cup Sugar
½ Cup Corn Syrup
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Teaspoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda

Line cookie sheet with foil and apply a coat of non stick spray. Preheat in warm oven. (about 200º)
In a microwave proof bowl, stir peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt together then microwave on high for 3 minutes. Remove and stir well, return to microwave 3 more minutes. Remove and stir in vanilla and butter, microwave 1 more minute. Remove and add baking soda.
Pour on to prepared cookie sheet and let harden. Break in to pieces and store.

I have used a microwave recipe like Lometa's to make peanut brittle for about 10 Christmases. It comes out wonderfully and I give it to everyone who asks as a gift (more each year). I use dry roasted peanuts instead of raw, and omit the salt. I lightly butter my cookie sheet instead of using the foil, non-stick cooking spray, and preheated oven.

Where I would caution anyone who wants to try this recipe is that cooking times for each microwave vary. It takes a lot of trial and error to determine the correct times for making suitable brittle, especially when you don't know what you're trying to attain. Have a lot of ingredients on hand; be prepared to make a number of batches until you get it right. Also, be prepared for a mess. It is a lot of work to clean up the "not quite" batches, and really hot water is always required for cleaning your microwaving dish and spatulas.

When you've got it perfected, it is the best peanut brittle! I have also made cashew brittle, which is absolutely delicious, the same way.

Cooking times in my current microwave: 3:45; 3:15; 1:15.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.