"Through Pauline Oliveros and Deep Listening I finally know what harmony is....It's about the pleasure of making music." -John Cage 1989

Pauline Oliveros, composer, performer, author and philosopher has influenced American music extensively through her works with improvisation, electronic music, teaching, myth, ritual and meditation. My favorite work by Pauline is Alien Bog and Beautiful Soop which she composed in real time with the Buchla Box at Mills College in 1967. Beautiful Soop is a set of Dr. Suess-like tales superimposed over ambient music. Pauline says of these two works, "There was only one place I was interested in going with what I needed to express and that was inside."

She also talks of what influenced her:
"I was deeply impressed by the sounds from the frog pond outside the studio window at Mills. I loved the accompaniment as I worked on my pieces. Though I never recorded the frogs I was of course influenced by their music. Since that time many other composers have also been influenced by the sounds from the pond. Sadly, the pond will soon give way to a new building to expand the quarters of the CCM (Center for Contemporary Music). It will no doubt be haunted by the ghost frogs!"

In 1985 she founded The Pauline Oliveros Foundation, Inc., to support all aspects of the creative process for artists worldwide.

-most of this was lifted and adapted from http://www.deeplistening.org/pauline/
A friend of mine. We worked together at the University of Wisconsin for a semester on her one-act dance opera "Io and Her and the Trouble with Him".

Pauline is everyone's dream hip artistic grandma. Apart from having a deep sense of what sound can do to people, she is just a great person to be around. She exudes this good peaceful creative vibe (not words I use lightly). She's at a fascinating point in her career now: she's been doing cutting-edge electronic and improvisational music for 40 years now, and she's at the point where she has a sufficient palette of previous recordings that many of her new works are reimaginings of her previous work; taking the same tones and rearranging them to form completely new music bearing little relation to the old. As it turns out, this still requires the best technology (and people) available; I'm pretty fast with Pro Tools, but Pauline's mind was constantly a sound or two ahead of both my computer and my head.

Pauline rocks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.