• As a defense mechanism: indirect resistance to authority, responsibility, and obligations.
  • Expresses anger indirectly through procrastination, resistance, losing things, etc.
  • Is indirectly aggressive. Hints around what he/she wants instead of just saying it.

Somebody that claims to be a "nice person" is probably really a passive-aggressive person. I am a "nice person."
Personality disorder mainly characterized by obstructionism as a manifest form of animosity towards a person or institution. Often times the aggression is deeply internal, and the passive aggressive may not be fully aware of its scope. A short list of core traits:

FEAR OF DEPENDENCY - Doubtful of their autonomy & afraid of being alone, their main outlet for dependence needs come in the form of manipulative and punitive behavior, trying to control those around them.

FEAR OF INTIMACY - Emotionally guarded and constricted, they may create conflict and disorder to create distance, in order to hide emotional fragility.

FEELING VICTIMIZED - As opposed to self-realization of their faults and the subsequent changes made in their life, they will take up the banner of victimization to avoid any need for personal introspection.

AMBIGUITY -As manipulative and controlling behavior, they will choose to use fabrications to withhold information and affirmation. They thrive on mixed messages and sitting on fences.

SULKING - Feeling put upon when they are unable to live up to their promises or obligations, they retreat from pressures around them and withdraw.

These are core traits. The behaviors listed will manifest themselves in other ways, such as lying, making excuses, chronic lateness, and forgetfulness. A relationship with the passive-aggressive is, quite possibly, the most psychically taxing experience conceivable.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.